• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Worried student caught shoplifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried student caught shoplifting

About a week ago I got caught shoplifting from primark, I am not going to lie it wasn’t an accident like how most people dress it up to be on here. However I am not a bad lad, I’m just push my luck sometimes and this was one of them times. I Haven’t had any trouble shop lifting before or with the police.

I walked out the shop and the security guard asked if I had a receipt for the trousers, I said I was making a call as I didn’t get signal in the shop, he didn’t have any if it and took me back inside. I walked a bit and then ran off, I ended up failing pathetically and then he took me into the back. Where they looked in my bag and realised I had the hoodie as well as the trousers which they weren’t aware that I had, it was around £25 worth in total.

To be honest with the Adrenalin and shock I can’t remember much, but I admitted to taking the items, I lied to him a few times, said that the address on my drivers license isn’t correct as my parents are moving house soon (few other similar things) and I can’t remember if I signed anything. No police were involved and weren’t even called.

I have seen loads of people just ignoring the letters but I thought since I have admitted it and lied then they might have good evidence or something or other to use against me if they take it to court. I don’t know, I’m pretty sure I have anxiety so I always think there’s some little thing that’s going to catch me out. Like I said it was about a week ago and I have not got a letter yet. I don’t want to pay a £150 fine for the sake of £20 worth of stuff and me frankly being an idiot.

I know the company that will be dealing with it is RPL

Help

Stop worrying .... start studying!

Police weren't called so there will be no court case.

Can easily be 6 weeks before first letter lands on the doormat (altho' we have heard of cases where it never arrives!)

Just ignore RLP and eventually they give up.

If you want you can read their scary letters here: https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...rs-rlp-and-dwf

Comment

I did the same thing in Superdrug!! Same age as you but female..
      never in trouble with the police or anything before I just got caught this time
      I got caught with "£29.13" worth of stuff from there but the problem is that it wasnt all from that shop, they just sold the same things.
      I have received my first letter for the value of £150 also and have read countless people saying to others in the same situation to simply ignore it and RLP will give up

I do believe that only the shop can take action against you to involve the police at the time of the incident or initiate court proceedings, but it is not the shop asking you to pay 150 pounds, it is RLP..
      They also took from me goods that I has a receipt for, obviously a mistake on their part..

I genuinely do live at a different address to the one listed on my driving licence, as my parents live at the one on my licence but I live elsewhere to study

REMEMBER THAT THEY RECOVERED THE GOODS AND IT WAS THEIR PERSONAL CHOICE TO DECIDE TO INVOLVE RLP, SO NO DEBT IS ACTUALLY OWED!! ITS JUST A COMPANY (RLP) TRYING TO MAKE A FEW EXTRA QUID THAN WHAT THE SHOP HAS ALREADY PAID THEM
      Do you really think they will send a few letters then tell Primark/Superdrug that they are SO good at their job they couldn't get you to pay their fine, and they now think you should be taken to court? I really dont think so

Please let me know how you get on!
      Jayden
      Last edited by Amethyst; 20th August 2019, 09:53:AM. Reason: Removed external contact details

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X