• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

builder stolen money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• builder stolen money

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me. I have recently transferred via bank, a builder money to start a job so he can get materials.. after five weeks of messed about dates and him not turning up, I cancelled the work and asked for a refund. It has now been 12 weeks and I haven’t received a refund, and doesn’t look like he’s going to return the money.
    What are the next steps I can take?
    Is there anyway I can get my back?
    Thanks,
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Claire2432 View Post
    Hi just wondering if anyone can help me. I have recently transferred via bank, a builder money to start a job so he can get materials.. after five weeks of messed about dates and him not turning up, I cancelled the work and asked for a refund. It has now been 12 weeks and I haven’t received a refund, and doesn’t look like he’s going to return the money.
    What are the next steps I can take?
    Is there anyway I can get my back?
    Thanks,
    Hi Claire & welcome.

The golden rule when pursuing someone for a debt.
    Is he/she sufficiently solvent?

Is he a sole trader, or is it a Ltd co.?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post

Hi Claire & welcome.

The golden rule when pursuing someone for a debt.
      Is he/she sufficiently solvent?

Is he a sole trader, or is it a Ltd co.?
      Have you had a word with CAB (Gateway to Trading Standards?

Have you researched the builder? (Ie TrustPilot, etc)
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

He isn’t LTD, he is a sole trader. I have spoken to trading standards and they have given me an address to write a letter to, with no reply.

Comment

He isn’t LTD, he is a sole trader. I have spoken to trading standards and they have given me an address to write a letter to, with no reply.
          Did you get proof of posting?
          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Will send again tomorrow with recorded delivery.

Comment

Will send again tomorrow with recorded delivery.
              You can get a free certificate of posting if you ask at the PO.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hello again, I have sent with recorded delivery and nobody is in to accept the letter, I have sent a letter unrecorded but with no response. What else can I do?

Comment

Did you send a letter AND get a free certificate of posting, as suggested earlier?

Comment

Yes, but nobody in to sign for delivery, so can’t be delivered

Comment

No, you get the free certificate of posting from a post office and it is assumed delivered 2 working days later if there us any dispute about wether it was delivered or not.

Comment

Yes I have done this, but no reply, it’s been over 14 days, so I was told to send via signed by. I have been informed that he’s no longer at this address, although his business is still registered there.

Comment

If you have sent a letter before action, and without seeing your correspondence I cannot be certain of that, and not having had any response to that, your next step is to issue proceedings. But, before doing so, check, as others advise, that he has the means to pay any judgment.

You could check the land registry to see if he owns the premises to which you addressed your correspondence. If he does, on judgment issuing, you can put a charge on that.

Another and cheaper alternative, is to issue a statutory demand - the first step to issuing a bankruptcy petition. That might prompt a response.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X