• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Courier trying to claim extra money for completed service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courier trying to claim extra money for completed service

Briefly, I organised a shipment to go to X in Europe. Duly measured and weighed then chose a parcel broker, such as Parcel Monkey,etc. I'm 100% confident I entered the dimensions correctly and then chose the service which was closest to what I wanted to pay and what the service offered. Item was duly picked up and successfully delivered to country X in Europe, several days later.

About two weeks later, I received an email from the broker, informing me that I had entered the wrong measurement data and that I was due them money, twice the price again of what I had originally paid! I couldn't fathom out how the courier firm went as far as delivering it if this had been the actual case so I went back on this broker's site and put in roughly the same data and postal codes again. Sure enough, the same page came up withe the same firms and the same pricing.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a screen-grab of the transaction so have no way of actually proving that teh correct dimension were entered expect by proof of using those dimensions on their website, a process I did take a screen-grab of. What I think has happened is that the end-courier has informed them that the service the broker was paying them for wasn't costed correctly and now they're trying to claw it back from me!

I'm not having any of it and they're intending to proceed with a claim. I caught them out when they said they'd apply interest to which I said that they had no right ( I was chancing my arm) and they backed down and said that a court would add interest if it went that far.

I'm quite prepared to contest it, if needs be, but would welcome any example of similar experience and outcome. Incidentally, three years ago another firm tried the same sketch with me and I foolishly coughed up. Not this time, though.
    Tags: None

Re: Courier trying to claim extra money for completed service

Was the shipment an item that you ship regularly, i.e is an item you have a stock of (able to measure another for comparison)

How far over the measurements are they claiming the parcel was?
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I don't see how they can claim anything extra now.
      There was an offer of supplying a service (from them, on their website).
      There was acceptance by you.
      There was a consideration (your payment)

Robert's your father's brother, as they say. Job done.
      It was their choice to deliver or else return it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
        Was the shipment an item that you ship regularly, i.e is an item you have a stock of (able to measure another for comparison)

How far over the measurements are they claiming the parcel was?
        No, a one-off.

The length I inputted - according to them - was ten times shorter than the actual size! The other two dimensions they supplied were approximate but were not the ones that I inputted, that much I know.

I personally think that the item went on a higher-rated service and that the broker got stung for it and is trying a sob-story with me.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by sean5302 View Post
        I don't see how they can claim anything extra now.
        There was an offer of supplying a service (from them, on their website).
        There was acceptance by you.
        There was a consideration (your payment)

Robert's your father's brother, as they say. Job done.
        It was their choice to deliver or else return it to you.
        Indeed! If it was the wrong dimensions, I'm sure it would have been caught prior to shipping. I'd put my hand up if I thought I'd made a mistake but I very much doubt it,

Comment

Then I think you just let them know you disagree that there is no way you would have entered the dimensions x10 smaller and tell them to shove their claim where the sun don't shine
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Indeed. Thanks to you both for chipping in.

Comment

You're very welcome.
              Do keep us updated and we'll help you if they try and chance their arm against you.

Comment

Originally posted by sean5302 View Post
                You're very welcome.
                Do keep us updated and we'll help you if they try and chance their arm against you.
                I most certainly will!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X