• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Gas missold boiler to vulnerable person.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas missold boiler to vulnerable person.

Hi All,I have just found out that BG has totally ripped off my elderly brother by mis-selling a boiler that was not needed, and then charging him a horrendous credit package that he cannot possibly pay.
    Three Years ago my brother aged 73 had a problem with his boiler not working, It would not spark. He had seen a BG advert on television showing how wonderful they were at fixing boilers etc. He did not tell me anything.
    A BG 'engineer' came around and looked at it and said it was not repairable as it was too old??? and must be replaced (it was still repairable with full back up spares from the makers) My brothers is slightly Autistic and will believe people even when they tell lies. and he asked for more details.
    Next day a salesman came up and told him that a lot of work was needed, new boiler and tank. That would be £4577.76 and it must be signed for immediately to get the rebate of £400 discount on that boiler.( I can buy the model they fitted for under a £1000 RRP),
    He was pressured to sign NOW and he did but unfortunately did not ask me first.
    When he said that he could not pay that much the salesman told him that they would make it easier to pay over a period and it would only cost £68 a month. He accepted that this would not be too difficult an amount and the boiler was fitted.
    However now three years later he is in areally bad way healthwise, and was really worried about the bill that he had signed up for. It had been passed to BARCLAYS Bank and was for ten years at 20.72% interest he had been paying for three years and had only paid off £238.91 from payments of £1643.76 and the outstanding is still £3438.45.
    I know that the salesman had lied and the engineer could have cleaned/ replaced the spark unit to get it going. He had pressurised a vulnerable old man to agreeing to pay an amount that was way over correct for the job, and sold a finance package which would last longer than my brother couldl. He cannot pay it off but I probably could with a struggle, to stop the bill compounding.
    I need to know how I can go against BG for this mis-selling scam that they have carried out and get my brother some recompense for the theft. for that is what it was. Can I also go to Barclays and take action for the high rate of interest that they have charged him. This is a mortgage time period with credit card rates. The salesman has acted as their agent for the finance.
    Had I got there I would have thrown the thieving scumbag right out of the door. Unfortunately My brother was a bit ashamed to tell me until now. I have had independent plumbers quote for that work and they said about £1500 most with the boiler discount of £400.
    I have got my brother to sign a letter authorising me to speak for him. Barclays Bank are also party to this selling scam and the rate of interest over the period is very high for what is basically a mortgage period. How can I claim against them as well as BG, They are all in it together and form a nice little clique.
    Any good advice will be appreciated. I also note that British Gas seem to rate very highly in the scam selling league.
    How can they carry on doing this?
    Many thanks in anticipation
    GWAYGWAY
    Tags: None

Re: British Gas missold boiler to vulnerable person.

Hi Welcome to LB,

Certainly seems that BG employees took your brother for ride here!!

I suggest making a Formal Complaint to BG, don't bother with its useless customer (dis) service people who from experience no little and care even less.

Google the name of the CEO of BG and address the complaint to him/her personally.
    Be clear and concise as to what has happened and what is needed to put matters right.
    A Formal Complaint allows BG 56 days to fully investigate and respond to your complaint.

Send the letter by signed for post.

nem

Comment

I think it will be this chappy he is over services which I think Boilers would come under

http://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=753...20-%20Services

Comment

Thank you for these bits of vital information. I will try and make a letter of complaint

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X