• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Faulty goods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty goods

Faulty goods

I bought a tumble dryer from Currys & it was delivered on 8th December. I used it once & then it broke down on the 14th December. After several unsuccessful attempts I managed to get in touch with Currys. They sent an engineer who told me that it needed a new thermostat but there was not one available. I contacted Currys again to say that I wanted a refund. They will not give me a refund as the tumble dryer was in my garage. It does not state it on the full description on line or when the appliance was delivered.
    I now have a tumble dryer that does not work & they tell me that there is nothing they can do about as I should not have put it in my garage.
    Currys' policy is that they will exchange or refund if the fault occurs within 21 days of delivery.
    The appliance I was sold is not fit for purpose as it broke down after one use. Surely, they are breaking the law when they refuse to do anything about the problem.
    What can I do to solve this problem?
    Thanks for any advice. Janine
    Tags: None

Re: Faulty goods

Did they give a reason why it should not be put in the garage?
    Did the engineer who came and stated a new thermostat was needed say it was because the dryer was in the garage?

Comment

I think a lot of tumble dryers are in garages?
      I would be putting the dryer in my car and taking it to the nearest store and putting in the doorway for all to see how they treat customers

Comment

No, they did not. There was nothing about it when I read the full instructions on line. They say that it is in the manual. A bit late when you've already bought the item.
        The manual says: Do not install your dryer anywhere which is exposed to high humidity, water or the weather". My garage housed my previous dryer for over 20 years without any trouble. The 2 delivery men placed the dryer in the garage & did not say that it should not be in a garage.
        The engineer said that the tumble dryer did not work if temperature is below 8 degrees & does not work in a garage.

Comment

A lot of non working tumble dryers in garages then what a load of bull

Comment

Some info that verifies what they have said

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/b...buildings.html

Comment

I think I would ring the makers helpline and find out if what Curries is saying is correct for that particular model

Comment

[QUOTE=Janine95;501084] Faulty goods
                . They sent an engineer who told me that it needed a new thermostat but there was not one available.

I find it difficult to believe that a new stat is not available. Depending on the model a standard stat costs about £10 and is easily replaced, besides which some are designed to be reset, and some can be reset anyway , although not so designed.
                Although not a good idea to store electrical equipment in an outside garage, what sort of garage do you have? eg is it integral to your house, is it heated even?
                I would not expect a week in a garage to cause a thermostat to trip and then not be replaceable?
                Methinks Currys are doing their normal wriggle.

Comment

I agree Des I was just trying to get info and facts together so the op could hold a decent argument.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X