• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gas fire problems with supplier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas fire problems with supplier

Hi everyone this is my first post. Have arrived here because I am turning grey with frustration.

I purchased a gas fire from a supplier over a year ago. Installation was not good and also had problems with fire itself. I have had numerous visits from supplier, a visit from manufacturer and fault still not rectified. Supplier now suggesting yet another alternative. I told them I want a full refund as I have no confidence in them. My plan is to use the money to have it repaired by another company. They have responded saying they will come and take the fire and give money back, with no compensation for the length of time to put right, my time wasted from work, emails, phone calls etc (and I had to do a lot of chasing). Advice on what approach I should take next would be appreciated.

Many thanks PP
    Tags: None

Re: Gas fire problems with supplier

My suggestion would be to contact gassafe and ask if they could come and assess the situation and installation. My reasons would be to ascertain whether the installation is correct and to the regulations, whether the fire is repairable to the correct standard and to give an independent assessment of whether any faults are due to installation or appliance or both. This would be impartial and would give you good evidence to use in any actions deemed necessary. Under the sale of goods act The supplier and or manufacturer have the right to offer a repair first which it sounds as though you have utilised but saying you want the money to get it repaired by somebody else isn't anything they would be required to do and it also is like saying you are happy with the product and the defects aren't that major. What is the problem you are experiencing with the fire ?

Comment

Thanks for responding so quickly.

The flames are elongating and burning the black top plate and back plate, leaving silver marks. They put it down to the coals not laid as instructed. Four attempts later still same issue. Also the glass front does not remain clear, gets what looks like a smear on inside. Plus there is a smell that comes off I guess the plates, they tell us that shouldn't happen because the fire is enclosed!

We had the manufacturer in to double check all was to regs.

Comment

This doesn't help you in terms of your question, but do you have a carbon monoxide detector near the fire? If not, may I suggest you purchase one. They are readily available in any of the big supermarkets for around £10 upwards.

Comment

Coal placement is very important, as an engineer you are not really supposed to touch the fire without the manufacturers coal layout to hand. It sounds to me (I am a gas engineer) as though there is either too much gas or too little air which is a design or manufacturing fault but an independent report would suit you well.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X