• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Second Hand Vehicle Purchased 14 Nov 14 - Now with Serious Fault, where do I stand?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Hand Vehicle Purchased 14 Nov 14 - Now with Serious Fault, where do I stand?

Hi,

I've got what I hope is a fairly simple issue, however I just want to check where I stand with regard to the Sale Of Goods Act.

On Sat 14 Nov 14, I purchased a second hand car from a second hand car dealer in Essex. The vehicle, a Nissan Pathfinder appeared to be in reasonably good order, and although we did not conduct a test drive, the engine sounded fine (to me as a layperson) for a diesel with 93000 miles on the clock.

The dealer sold me an enhanced warranty that cost me another £400 above the £8000 already paid. We drove the vehicle home, and while the automatic gearbox felt a bit ponderous the vehicle appeared fine. On the following Weds, the vehicle clearly had something drastic wrong with it. On talking to the warranty company, I was informed to get a diagnostic done before they could do anything further.

I took the vehicle for the diagnostic this morning and was shocked to be shown a list of faults, all of which point to the requirement for for a new automatic gearbox and a new radiator. All together with labour, this will cost in excess of £3000. On talking to the warranty company, I have been informed that the maximum single claim is £2000, leaving me some £1000 out of pocket. Given I had the car for less than a week when the problems manifested themselves, and the assurance from the garage who conducted the diagnostic check that this is a problem that the vehicle has had for some time, do I have any legal route for getting the dealer to accept part or all of the remaining bill above what is covered by the warranty?

Any help or hints gratefully received!
    Al
    Tags: None

Re: Second Hand Vehicle Purchased 14 Nov 14 - Now with Serious Fault, where do I stan

Have you been back to the car dealer and allowed him the opportunity to correct the faults?

You have stated you purchased the vehicle 14th November 2014 - 3 days ago, is this correct?
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Re: Second Hand Vehicle Purchased 14 Nov 14 - Now with Serious Fault, where do I stan

Originally posted by Tools View Post
      Have you been back to the car dealer and allowed him the opportunity to correct the faults?

You have stated you purchased the vehicle 14th November 2014 - 3 days ago, is this correct?

Sorry,

I actually bought the vehicle on 8 Nov 14.
      I'm trying to get hold of the dealer to agree some sort of way forward, however I'm not filled with a sense of confidence that he is going to be forthcoming, so I just want to get a handle on what my legal rights are. Hopefully it will all be resolved amicably!

Comment

The dealer should be correcting the faults at his own expense, so he should be pleased that you are prepared to make a claim under the warranty YOU purchased
        If he refuses an arrangement acceptable to you, you could reject the vehicle.

Comment

I believe that within the 1st 6 months if he can't or won't repair it you can ask for all of your money to be returned

Comment

Make sure you have all of your ducks in row engineers report etc because he might accuse you of causing the damage

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X