• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fence gate smaller than advertised - where do I stand please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fence gate smaller than advertised - where do I stand please?

On 15th October I purchased a Chevron gate from WorldStores via their website (http://www.worldstores.co.uk/p/Winch...pla_item=97930) where the dimensions were (and as at today 4th November, still are) quoted as being 1.8m wide x 1.8m tall. I needed a gate this wide so ride-on mowers can get into my back garden.

The gate delivered to me on 23rd October was 0.9m wide x 1.8m tall.

I contacted WorldStores on 23rd October and asked them to replaced the incorrect item with the item I ordered. On 27th October they informed me "I have arranged for the suppliers to be contacted on Monday 27th October to organise a collection of the incorrect gate and delivery of the one you originally purchased."

Yesterday a message was left on my phone from WorldStores advising that their suppliers don't do the size advertised so the item was incorrectly detailed on their website, and it was only available in the size that had been delivered. They have offered a price reduction (unspecified) if I decide to keep the small gate, or a full refund if I decide to return it (they will collect at their expense).

Neither of these alternatives meets my need for a 1.8m wide gate. The only alternative that will meet my needs is to have a second 0.9m width gate so I have a pair that can be opened to let the mower through. Given that they advertised a 1.8m width gate, which I offered to buy, and they then agreed to sell to me, would I be within my rights to ask for a second gate to be provided to me, completely free?

Any thoughts gratefully received - many thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Fence gate smaller than advertised - where do I stand please?

Have yu read the terms and conditions from the website?

Comment

I think the relevant section is:

Accuracy of Content
      WorldStores has taken every care in the preparation of the content of this website, in particular to ensure that prices quoted are correct at time of publishing and all products have been fairly described. However, orders will only be accepted if there are no material errors in the description of the goods or their prices as advertised on this website. All prices are displayed inclusive of VAT unless stated otherwise, and where applicable. For a VAT receipt please
      click here to email us. Packaging may vary from that shown. The weights, dimensions and capacities given are approximate only. We have made every effort to display as accurately as possible the colours of our products that appear on the website. However, as the actual colours you see will depend on your monitor, we cannot guarantee that your monitor's display of any colour will accurately reflect the colour of the product on delivery.

I'm not sure if this would cover them, saying that dimensions are approximate, when the width was only half that stated - seems a bit too different to be the result of approximation!

Comment

I think they probably cover themselves have you asked them for what you want?
        How were you going to hang a six foot single gate was it wood or metal?

Comment

As Wales says "they've done enough"

Under the Sale of Goods At 1979 if goods aren't as described you can return them for a full refund.
          The seller has agreed to this and in fact gone further by offering an unspecified reduction if you wish to keep it.

Why not see what reduction they will offer you if you purchase a second gate. they are obviously open to negotiations.

Comment

Ask them or maybe a nominal fee for the second gate. What is the advertised difference between the 1.8m gate and the 0.9m gate ?

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Wales01man - my builder was going to hang it - he knows the dimensions and was happy he could do so (he's done work for me before, to an excellent standard, so I have no reason to doubt him) - the Chevron Weave gate (& fence panels) are wood.

Des8 - that's a good idea - I'll call them back in the morning.

Seduraed - they don't sell a 0.9m gate, or perhaps I should say, that's all they do sell, they just advertise it as a 1.8m wide gate.

All input very gratefully received - thank you.

Comment

Update:

After some to-ing and fro-ing over the last few days, the best I've been able to achieve is a £25 reduction in the gate I've already got, plus a total 20% reduction in the cost of buying another gate in order to achieve the width I need. This means I'll have paid over £93 for two gates making up the 1.8m width, instead of £65.99 as advertised. Not exactly satisfactory, as the two small gates will look rather peculiar with the 1.8m width matching fence panels, but I've been left with no other option.

My thanks to everyone who offered their thoughts & suggestions.
                Last edited by LizB13; 8th November 2014, 14:21:PM.

Comment

I think you got a very good result.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X