• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Refund on Tablet from well known Daily Paper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refund on Tablet from well known Daily Paper

Hi All

Firstly apologies if there is something already like this thread....be gentle Im a newby!

My father at the age of 79 decided in his wisdom to buy himself a tablet that was advertised in the rear of a very well known Sunday and Daily newspaper.
    • The tablet was purchased in May
    • The charger was faulty on arrival and reported, a replacement was sent
    • The battery began to loose charge rapidly
    • The unit started to run hot and would begin to start up and shut down
    • The unit now does nothing

After speaking with customer services I requested a refund on my fathers behalf as I was not happy with both the quality and the issues.
    The young lady began quoting Distant selling regs so I asked to speak with the manager at the call centre.

I explained that I simply would like a refund for my father but the gentleman insisted that this was not possible under the DSR and that the Sales of Goods Act did not apply.
    He was willing to replace the unit which I agreed and a courier was arranged for today by the Company in question.
    My father stayed in all day which he never does and the courier did not turn up which has angered both me and my father.
    I have yet to call to explain the courier did not turn up today.

Can I ask for a full refund????
    Tags: None

Re: Refund on Tablet from well known Daily Paper

Hi and welcome.
    Are you sure you spoke to a "gentleman" and not a rogue trader?
    Did he explain why,in his opinion,the Sale of Goods Act does not apply?
    Basically: ALL goods sold must be i) as described (in adverts, newspapers, brochures or anywhere the goods are offered for sale). ii) fit for purpose iii)of satisfactory quality.
    If the goods are not as above the retailer is in breach of the act and you can claim a full refund.

However if you have now agreed to a replacement, you are bound by that, except of course it was accepted because the retailer lied to you.(I don't suppose you recorded your phone call?)

If the replacement arrives tomorrow you could return it by recorded delivery, explaining why and claim your refund and see what happens.

If the tablet cost in excess of £100 and was paid for by credit card you could try a s75 claim (I think) and there is also similar voluntary scheme for debit cards.

By the way the DSR no longer exist. They were replaced in June 2014, but in any case have no bearing on your problem which is to do with the quality of the goods.
    I would

Comment

Hi Des

Thank you for your reply.
      They were not very good full stop and will only send a replacement once the original has been received and yes he obviously lied now you have explained the situation.

Would you suggest an e mail to customer services?

Comment

Everything in writing (emails fine) and you might as well start with "customer services" (although that seems to be a misnomer!)
        no phone calls!

Comment

What is the accepted reply time?
          5 working days?

Comment

In view of the run around you've been given why not? others might prefer 10

Comment

Thanks Des I will post any replies for further advice as I feel this may run!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X