• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dispute with motor company (phone calls) ADVICE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispute with motor company (phone calls) ADVICE

Hi,

I'm in a dispute with a motor company that sold me an unroadworthy vehicle some time ago now. I won't bore you with the details of the dispute or the proceedings as it's not the point of this post.

What I want advice on is the following:

Early on in the dispute I took the opportunity to record my phone calls with the garage. I did this for the purposes of evaluation. I'm not very good when speaking on the phone so I wanted to go back and really listen to what the man said so I could make decisions about how I would respond.

The interesting thing is I have the owner of the garage saying things in these calls that are contraventions of certain laws such as the Consumer Protection Regulations.

As I understand it I am within my rights to record a phone call as long as I don't let a third party hear it.

My question is, am I, in the interests on getting information to trading standards, at liberty to let them have a copy of the phone recordings since the garage is clearly breaking laws?

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Dispute with motor company (phone calls) ADVICE

I believe you are not free to release the recordings. However if you transcribe the recordings and present them to TS then that should be acceptable. If there is any later disputes you would mention that you have recordings and ask for permission to provide copies.

Comment

do you have a registered hearing problem? Do you run a business from that phone line ? Did you reasonably believe that the garage were committing a crime or about to commit a crime . All of hose are defences for recording calls also if you have been recieving threatening or abusive phone calls .

Comment

Recordings can be done without any problems.
        However, you are not at liberty to release the recordings to any third party, without the permission of the second party.
        In general, recordings should only be carried out, with the agreement of both or all parties concerned.
        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Any person can record their phone calls without the consent or knowledge of the other party. Where they MUST seek consent f the other party OR the Court is if they wish to allow a 3rd party listen to said calls.

As has already been stated transcribe the conversation then show it to TS

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X