• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Damage to Neighbours Car.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage to Neighbours Car.

Hi. hope for advice., My 10 yr old Grandson opened their car door suddenly to alight the car.
    In the shared driveway..caught the Next door neighbours car bodywork causing a small Dent..
    My Daughter reported this incident to the Neighbour
    & offered to get the car repaired.,
    unfortunatly the people next door., have insisted on their own choice of bodywork Garage.,& produced an
    inflated quote..
    My son-in-law works in the Car Trade & can get the repair done cheaper.,
    what is the Law on this? are the Neighbours within their rights to choose or can my family challenge this?.
    Tags: None

Re: Damage to Neighbours Car.

As you are liable the third party can choose who undertakes the repair - HOWEVER - they are under a duty to mitigate their costs so if you can show that the vehicle can be repaired to a similar standard at a cheaper price elsewhere but they still insist on their choice of repairer then they will have to cover the difference between the prices.
    Is their preferred repairer a main dealer for their car, or the garage round the corner, or the friend down the road working in his driveway?

If it's a large bill, have you thought of claiming on your insurance? It might save a lot of hassle and unpleasantness with your neighbours?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X