• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car bought from eBAY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car bought from eBAY

HI all

Just wondering If I have any sort of case I am jumping the gun atm but I want to be prepared. I bought privately, a Car for £1000 off Ebay last Sat, Drove it 20 miles home was fine that I can remember.

Drove it 100 miles to my weekly place of work and it's started going wrong, I have finally got it into a garage today to see what is wrong with it. I have some knowladge of cars and have done some checks and changes which is stupid 2 days after purchasing a car.

Anyway should I find the car is totally buggered or very costly to repair what options do I have.

I asked several questions which I still have and replies to see if the engine is in good working order and if I need to check anything or be aware of anything that may crop up to which the response was no it's perfectly running, which it is not!

Anyway any info would be great but I am not holding my breath!
    ~Never has PPI refunds been owed to so many...by so few~
    Tags: None

Re: Car bought from eBAY

Hi and welcome to LegalBeagles.

Firstly make a copy of the advertisement/listing and post up a link to it, we then have the option to assess whether the vehicle is "as described".
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Quite frankly, if you saw the car before handing over the cash, even if it was incorrectly described, you have very few rights if it was a private sale.

If a motor trader was involved, even if he was trying to hide his involvement (eg selling from private premises as a member of the general public) the position is different.

If the vehicle was unroadworthy, ie could cause injury to people, the seller (trade or private) is guilty of a criminal act.
      If this is the case the seller may be prepared to reimburse you rather than risk criminal courts (altho' this course rarely happens)

Comment

Hello PTD

If you buy a car privately the word "caveat emptor" - "let the buyer beware" applies. When you buy a car although certain implied terms under the Sale of Goods Act are present s14 is not "Quality for fitness and purpose". It is different if you buy from a Merchant.

Therefore, if I buy a car from a private seller and the engine falls out a day later there is nothing I can do. It is sold as seen.

There are exceptions to this rule. For example, were representations made as to the worthiness of the vehicle? Were you told something like "great runner", excellent condition with full MOT etc. If comments like that were made you could sue under the Misrepresentation Act 1967 otherwise you are stuck with it I'm afraid.

By the way did you purchase it via Paypal? The inbuilt protection conferred on users may assist you.

Hope this helps.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X