• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Undelivered Post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undelivered Post

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and recently sent you all a greeting. I am hoping for some advice: I am currently in dispute with the DVLA about a vehicle I am the registered keeper for. The vehicle is off road and I sent a SORN to the DVLA shortly before the Tax was due for renewal in Dec 2012. However, according to the DVLA, they did not receive the SORN. I am now in dispute with them and need to provide evidence that I did send the SORN in order to prevent court proceedings (they have already towed and impounded the car). I most definitely sent the SORN and feel that either Royal Mail did not deliver it or DVLA either lost/misfiled. Where can I find Royal Mail's percentages of undelivered mail and the fact that once my SORN entered the postal system, it became the sole responsibility of Royal Mail to deliver it. I need evidence to show DVLA that Royal Mail do make occasional mistakes and sometimes the post is failed to delivered. Also, is it true that it is actually not for me to prove that I sent it, but rather it is DVLA responsibility to prove that I didn't? If this is true, where would I find this information in order to back up my dispute? Thank you all in advance for any help/advice you may offer. Nic
    Tags: None

Re: Undelivered Post

More likely that DVLA lost it. Have a look through these forums to see other instances.

Comment

Interpretation Act 1978
      s.7 References to service by post.
      Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression “serve” or the expression “give” or “send” or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

DVLA v Peck Horsham County Court (Claim No. 9BR0829). The judge found for D, stating that the DVLA has no statutory power requiring anyone to contact them in the event that D does not receive acknowledgement of receipt for documents sent to them.

That they didn't reply is not your problem.

There is also an FOI in which the DVLA admit that they lose mail.

Comment

There is, however, usually a burden of proof, or a reverse burden, to provide suitable evidence to validate your claim or defense.

The Golden Rule - get proof of postage! (A certificate of posting is free).
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

You can swear a Statutory Declaration at any High Street solicitors for about £10 to the effect that you sent the letter to the DVLA and the vehicle was duly SORNed. Send or email a copy of that to them, and insist they drop the issue (no doubt accompanied by a fine) as you will defend your position vigorously in any court proceedings they may bring.

A Statutory Declaration is tantamount to swearing under oath in a Court of Law, so they would be foolish to ignore it.

Advice about Proof of Postage is VERY sensible for anything of this nature, and it is free to get.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X