• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rogue trader help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue trader help

Hi

i need some advise here. I contracted a local tradesman to renovate my bathroom and agreed on a start date and finish date and price. Work started on the day but a lot delayed and has been delayed everyday since. I noticed quite a few things were being done poorly and when asked why the answer was this is how it’s done rather than explaining the logic. I checked with an acquaintance who is in the business and he advised the work is not being done the right way. I called up council building control for help and they advised me to register an application which I have done. I informed the tradesman that I’m involving building control and will pay the remaining only after they sign off. I am aware we don’t need regs for generic bathroom Reno but I’m adding an extractor fan with electrics for that which council advised I needed their approval.

Now begins the fun - I told them this and gave them 2 options 1) finish the job and I will pay in full after building regs sign off or 2) feel free to walk away but I won’t pay anything more. They decided to walk away! Now they have sent a msg saying I owe them more money and i dispute that. Tried to solve amicably but didn’t work out. There are no signed contracts and there is a text about start date and total price etc.

He tried to intimidate me to say he will pass the cost to debt collection and I didn’t budge and now wants to send a contract via email and wants me email which I refuse to share. What are my rights here? I’m already serving a consumer act 2015 notice to him for the quality and satisfaction of his work with proof. Can he send a contract retrospectively after he left a half finished job and demand Money?

If I am to get an independent person to inspect the work for quality and care - who would this be ideally?
    Tags: None

Hi
    Sorry to read about the problems you are having with your bathroom refurb
    You are right to ensure the work is carried out to an acceptable standard to avoid problems in the future.
    An experienced building surveyor, RICS qualified, is the best professional to provide a written report. Ask the surveyor to back up his report with photos
    A contract can be put in place after work has started but you don't have to sign it
    The texts you have about price, start date etc constitutes an agreement. Did the texts cover the refurb work involved? Did you change any of the work after the price was agreed?
    The tradesman can't just send round a debt collector. He will have to make a court claim and you will have the chance to defend his court claim

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X