• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Issue with lock in new front door - who is responsible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with lock in new front door - who is responsible

Hi,
    We recently had our front and back doors replaced by a nationwide window installer. The door came with a lock manufactured by Yale but the window installer only supplied three keys and we needed extras. We approached Yale to get extra keys which they supplied. Unfortunately the keys would not work, they would lock the door from the inside but not the outside. Once we had verified with Yale the details on the order they sent another set of keys but these had the same problem. Yale have now said the only solution is to replace the lock itself in the door.

I contacted the Window installer this morning and they have said that as the set of keys they initially supplied are working there is no issue with the lock and they want nothing to do with it. I have forwarded to them the email from Yale which has the full exchange and their recommendation that the lock itself is replaced.

As the lock was supplied as an integral part of the door am I right in pushing for the window installer to help rectify the issue or are they correct and saying it is not their issue? Yale have supplied details on how to install the new lock and I am sure I could probably do it myself but as the doors were only installed a few weeks ago I think I should not have to do that.

I will say that Yale customer support have been brilliant in trying to resolve the issue but I do feel the window installer, which is a big company, could do a lot more to help considering the amount of money we paid them.

Thanks
    Andrew
    Tags: None

Originally posted by acoleman View Post

... The door came with a lock manufactured by Yale but the window installer only supplied three keys and we needed extras. We approached Yale to get extra keys which they supplied. Unfortunately the keys would not work, they would lock the door from the inside but not the outside. Once we had verified with Yale the details on the order they sent another set of keys but these had the same problem. Yale have now said the only solution is to replace the lock itself in the door.

I contacted the Window installer this morning and they have said that as the set of keys they initially supplied are working there is no issue with the lock and they want nothing to do with it....

Can you clarify please?

Do the three keys supplied by the window installer work properly? (ie they lock and unlock the doors both inside and out).

If they do work properly I don't see what complaint you have against the installer - unless you specified that you wanted more than three keys.

Have you tried to get new keys cut from the ones that work, or is there some security issue about doing that?

Comment

You don't want to fit a new lock yourself. You may void any guarantee that came with the door

Comment

Good point

Comment

Originally posted by Manxman View Post

Can you clarify please?

Do the three keys supplied by the window installer work properly? (ie they lock and unlock the doors both inside and out).

If they do work properly I don't see what complaint you have against the installer - unless you specified that you wanted more than three keys.

Have you tried to get new keys cut from the ones that work, or is there some security issue about doing that?
          Yes, the three keys supplied by the installer do work. These are special security keys, the keys are supplied with a set of codes which are used to get additional keys cut. Only the manufacturer of the keys, i.e. Yale, are able to get the keys cut using those sets of codes.

I understand their point of view to a certain extent but given the amount of money we have paid them for the doors it would seem good customer service to at least help facilitate getting the lock changed, especially as Yale are offering to provide the parts and all the keys we need free of charge.

Andrew

Comment

Yes, but like others I cannot see a breach of consumer legislation. It would be good customer service to assist you in obtaining appropriate further keys.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Seems like you have no legal recourse against the supplier, they supplied what they were contracted to do, and what they supplied works. It's the additional keys Yale supplied that didn't work.

Although I agree with you that I'd expect a a big window installer could be more helpful in its customer service, especially as you've done the groundwork and got a free of charge replacement lock + the keys you need from Yale, the window installer has a point - the product failure here is by Yale, not the installer, as Yale are the sole supplier of the security keys and the keys they supplied are supposed to fit their lock but don't.

The warranty issue is a good point so I'd recommend asking the window installer to quote you a price to fit the new locks being supplied by Yale and aim for some sort of 'goodwill discount' off it.

Perhaps the gesture of goodwill should be coming from Yale? It's their product (the additonal keys) that didn't work and their contract with you for the additional keys that failed to deliver what you had ordered. Pay the installer to put the new locks in then ask Yale to reimburse you.
              Last edited by PallasAthena; 27th March 2024, 12:04:PM.
              All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

If the installer has supplied the doors and three keys in good faith (and they are bona fide Yale products) and they all work perfectly, I don't see that the installer need or can be required to do any more.

The problem appears to be with the spare keys supplied by Yale. I don't see why the installer should be required to offer a goodwill gesture or a discount or work for free any more than Yale should be expected to do.

[Edit: Has the OP paid Yale for the spare keys or have they come free as some part of package with the doors? All the OP has said is that Yale supplied spare keys...]

Comment

On further consideration, is there actually an issue with the lock if replacement keys do not work with full functionality? Might there be a warranty claim here? What do Yale say?
                  Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Manxman View Post
                    If the installer has supplied the doors and three keys in good faith (and they are bona fide Yale products) and they all work perfectly, I don't see that the installer need or can be required to do any more.

The problem appears to be with the spare keys supplied by Yale. I don't see why the installer should be required to offer a goodwill gesture or a discount or work for free any more than Yale should be expected to do.

[Edit: Has the OP paid Yale for the spare keys or have they come free as some part of package with the doors? All the OP has said is that Yale supplied spare keys...]
                    I did pay Yale for the extra set of keys.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                      On further consideration, is there actually an issue with the lock if replacement keys do not work with full functionality? Might there be a warranty claim here? What do Yale say?
                      Yale have not actually said that the lock itself is faulty, what they have said is that they have supplied two sets of keys and if neither work the only option is to replace the lock. To be fair to Yale they are saying they will supply a replacement lock free of charge and that will come with the number of keys that we require. My main concern here is the fitting of the replacement lock. As other have mentioned if I do the work myself I run the risk of voiding the warranty.
                      Now that a few days have passed since my original post I have calmed down a bit and to be honest just looking for the easiest solution. We have a locksmith who lives a few doors down the road from me and it would probably be a lot easier if I just ask him to fit the lock for me and I give him a few quid for his time.

Comment

Maybe you need to help them see the logical conclusion of what they are saying. I have given you the thought: now it is for you to take it forward and develop the argument.

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman View Post

I did pay Yale for the extra set of keys.
                          So the problem is with the keys you paid Yale to supply?

Or as atticus suggests the problem is the lock?

If the keys the installer supplied are fully functional with the lock and work properly, then the problem seems to lie with Yale and not the installer...

However, when you "... verified with Yale the details on the order... ", are you sure those details were correct? Did you or Yale or the installer commit a typo? Is it possible the installer supplied a different lock from the one on the order? If so, whose fault was it, the installer's or did Yale supply him with the wrong lock in the first place?

You need to sort out if all the serial/security numbers and the order match up. If they do, it's sounds to me like it's Yale's problem. If they don't it might be Yale's or the installer's.

Comment

I would expect the door supplier to sort the lock - he supplied a door - it needs to work!

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                              I would expect the door supplier to sort the lock - he supplied a door - it needs to work!
                              But the door, lock and keys that he supplied DO work!

(See #5: "Yes, the three keys supplied by the installer do work" )

It's the spare keys bought from Yale that don't work...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X