• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Private sale van purchase died within 24 hours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private sale van purchase died within 24 hours

Hi

I bought a van on facebook marketplace, van had a near 12 month MOT, was descried as 'runs and drives well'. Viewed the vehicle but couldn't test drive as was SORN and seller had no insurance. So performed a physical inspection, turned it on tested all features etc. Paid a deposit and collected the next day. Drove it home (approx 15 miles and parked on the drive). The next day I took it out and a couple of miles from home the gearbox developed issues and the gear stick wouldn't move gear, I was approaching a roundabout with nowhere to pull in so thought I would try and pull in the other side of the roundabout where it was safe to do so. Unfortunately the van stalled on the roundabout and wouldn't restart. The clutch pedal was also by now depressed and wouldn't come back up.

Had to phone for a recovery truck and messaged the seller at the same time to advise the van had died and I was taking it to a garage. Had it checked out today at the garage and they confirmed gearbox and clutch failure. I believe in particular with the gearbox issue this makes the vehicle unroadworthy. I was quoted at least £800 to fix it but likely to be more depending upon what issues are uncovered when they start repair. I contacted the seller to advise of this and said given its failed within 24 hours of purchase I would like a refund. Seller has refused and instead offered to buy the vehicle back at a reduced price.

Since then I've been shown how to check commerce profiles on facebook and have identified that the seller has sold at least 25 vehicles on facebook marketplace in the last 3 years. This indicates to me the seller is actually dealing in cars (wish I'd known beforehand as when I asked him he said he wasn't and was selling his own vehicle).

I have shared with the seller that I believe I am entitled to a refund as the van is not roadworthy, or the cost of repair under the sale of goods act. If the seller doesn't comply I believe small claims court is my only logical next step. However, with this additional insight into the sellers selling history I'm now not sure whether the consumer rights act of 2015 should be applying too.

At the moment I'm waiting for the seller to get back to my request to refund me or pay for the repair of the van. But wanted to understand what actions it would be best to be advised to take next as I do feel there is a case to answer here. At the moment the van is at my mechanics (and can't be moved except by a recovery vehicle due to it now being a none starter) so I don't think I'm going to be able to get qoutes for repair from more than one garage without paying for it to be transported for assessment. It can't stay at the mechanics for mroe than a few days without me either recovering it back to my house or getting them to start repair on it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time spent reading my tale of woe!
    Tags: None

Hi MMUK

Welcome to LB

Gather as much evidence as possible, take screenshots of his Facebook profile. Especially past sales, proving he his a 'Dealer' pretending to be a private sale.

Lodge a complaint with CAB / Trading Standards they should look into it. They will give you a reference number.

No doubt there will be further advice.

Comment

Very sorry to read about your problems with the van so soon after you bought it.
      It would be helpful if you can answer the following questions:
      How old is the van, what is its mileage, how much did you pay for it and how did you pay?
      Did you get a receipt?
      Do you intend to use the van for business?
      Who is named as the owner on the V5C log book and do all the details on the log book tally with the van?
      It is probably worth paying for an online vehicle history check if you didn't do this before you purchased the car.

Comment

Meant "van" not "car"

Comment

According to the motorombudsman.org "there is no minimum number of cars an individual can sell before they are deemed to be a trader. A person will only be considered a trader if they buy cars mainly for the purpose of reselling them at a profit, regardless of the number of vehicles sold each year".
          Hopefully it is not the seller's name on the log book but if it is he only owned it for a short period of time.

Comment

Just random, it's Devon.

https://www.devonsomersettradingstan...ng%20Standards.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me

Have reported it to CAB and they are feeding back to trading standards.

V5 was in sellers name but having checked it its only been in his name for the last few days, It had a 12 month MOT on the van with no advisories so I've asked him who did the MOT, just in case there's an issue there. Says he doesn't know as he bought the van after its MOT (MOT was only done towards the end of October) - so another red flag for me there.

Van is 15 years old and mileage is 125k. So a good mileage for its age. Paid for it via bank transfer so didn't get a receipt, kicking myself for that now but I do have all the details of the bank transfer and the name of the bank account holder is the same as on the V5.

CAB have advised writing to him and have advised me on what to say on the letter. So that's my next step if I don't hear anything further back from the seller today.

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
                According to the motorombudsman.org "there is no minimum number of cars an individual can sell before they are deemed to be a trader. A person will only be considered a trader if they buy cars mainly for the purpose of reselling them at a profit, regardless of the number of vehicles sold each year".
                Hopefully it is not the seller's name on the log book but if it is he only owned it for a short period of time.
                Thank you for your help

Comment

Originally posted by MMUK View Post
                  Thanks for getting back to me

Have reported it to CAB and they are feeding back to trading standards.

V5 was in sellers name but having checked it its only been in his name for the last few days, It had a 12 month MOT on the van with no advisories so I've asked him who did the MOT, just in case there's an issue there. Says he doesn't know as he bought the van after its MOT (MOT was only done towards the end of October) - so another red flag for me there.

Van is 15 years old and mileage is 125k. So a good mileage for its age. Paid for it via bank transfer so didn't get a receipt, kicking myself for that now but I do have all the details of the bank transfer and the name of the bank account holder is the same as on the V5.

CAB have advised writing to him and have advised me on what to say on the letter. So that's my next step if I don't hear anything further back from the seller today.
                  On the letter, write the following : CAB / Trading Standards Ref: XXXXXXXXXXXXX, that should help.

Comment

F1autocentres provide a list of the MOT checklist. Surprisingly the gearbox and clutch are not on the list. So the seller could argue that as you drove 15 miles home after you bought it without a problem and as the Mot was recent the car was roadworthy at the time of sale.
                    Your best option is to prove the seller is a dealer. If you bought the van only for private use and the seller is a dealer you have consumer rights under CRA 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
                      F1autocentres provide a list of the MOT checklist. Surprisingly the gearbox and clutch are not on the list. So the seller could argue that as you drove 15 miles home after you bought it without a problem and as the Mot was recent the car was roadworthy at the time of sale.
                      Your best option is to prove the seller is a dealer. If you bought the van only for private use and the seller is a dealer you have consumer rights under CRA 2015.
                      Thanks. I wonder if its worth mentioning in my letter to him that I believe he's operating as a dealer and advising that means he would be liable under CRA?

Comment

"believe" is too weak and he will probably deny it.
                        Say you know he is a dealer and you have seen evidence of this on facebook.
                        There is more chance he will admit to being a trader.

Comment

Originally posted by MMUK View Post

Thanks. I wonder if its worth mentioning in my letter to him that I believe he's operating as a dealer and advising that means he would be liable under CRA?
                          will do - thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X