• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shoplifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting

I’m so ashamed of myself I was caught on cctv not paying for everything on self checkout my mental health has been shot and I just don’t know what’s wrong with me. I left 4 items maybe 5 in the trolly
    2 weeks later police were at the door and I had a voluntary interview today. With solicitors. The office was perfectly nice and I admitted to it after being shown cctv.
    once the interview was over that was it they said they will be in contact within a couple of days but I have no idea how it in what way?
    I want to know basically what will happen to me now. I’m so worried I have two kids and a husband I’ve just made a huge mistake.
    Tags: None

Des-8 ive seen you good advice do you have any for me?

Comment

des8 Sorry wrong tag!

Comment

Not knowing the value of the goods (pretty small I guess!) nor the full circumstances one can't be certain o what might happen.

A lot depends on the attitude of the retailer , but I would guess at some sort of out of court resolution as detailed in the link:
        https://foi.west-midlands.police.uk/...fting-OoCD.pdf

Most unlikely to proceed to court, but if it does for a first offence for less than £200 any sentence would be non custodial, e.g. community order &/or a fine
        If a court appearance was by chance reported in the local papers don't worry about it. Today's headlines are tomorrow's wrapping for fish & chips and people soon forget

I trust your husband is supporting you
        Good luck, take care and look to your family

Comment

des8 thank you so much. It was deffo less than £200 maybe not even £30 but me and the shop don’t know what it was! (I can’t honestly remember)

Comment

I'm surprised the police even turned up!
            Not the crime of the century so try not to worry too much

Comment

Thanks, easier said than done. I’m in full panic mode. What will happen if they don’t know the value of the stuff?

Comment

If the value of the goods is unknown, why did you estimate at less than £30?

Did your solicitor suggest what the outcome might be?
                He knows the full circumstances .. we don't

Comment

As I know I’d never pick anything up that would come to more than that. That’s all

Comment

Solicitor said that hoping for a out of court resolution

Comment

Originally posted by Ugd21 View Post
                      Solicitor said that hoping for a out of court resolution
                      So cease worrying
                      Easier said than done, I know, but really don't think you have anything to really be concerned about.

Comment

des8 thought I’d update, I ended up with a community resolution, banned from the store and asked to donated to the stores charity which I have.
                        im still full of anxiety over other shops that I have done similar in finding out about me now though. I’ve stopped totally won’t do it again but in a bit of panic mode and constantly on edge about other past things. ☹️
                        im avoiding all shops like the plague atm

Comment

My mental health is in bits from the whole thing - I know self inflicted

Comment

thanks for the update.

Not a bad outcome anyway.

Just try and put the whole matter behind yourself, and look after your family.
                            If you are really desperate it might be worth a visit to your GP.
                            She/he will have heard it all before and should be able to help you without being judgmental

good luck

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X