• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can you keep wrong goods sent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you keep wrong goods sent?

A friend ordered an item online but received the wrong goods worth more.

Is she entitled to keep and sell them or should she return them?

Tags: None

She should contact the company that sent the wrong goods and let them know. If the company wants the goods back a convenient time should be arranged for collection..
    Sometimes, depending on the value of the goods, the company will let the customer keep them.

Comment

Thank you, will do. Can I say if you don't organise collection within 1 week I will assume you don't want them back?

She changed her mind after ordering and as I did the ordering for her tried to cancel the order (no internet). They didn't answer the phone or call back from their requested 'leave a message' and they didn't reply to their online email and 2 days later the order went out.

Comment

So your friend would rather keep the incorrect goods sent because they are worth more rather than chase a refund for the order that wasn't sent?

Comment

She would rather have a refund on what she didn't receive. The wrong goods are in a large box that needs collecting that I think is going to be hard to sort out as the company don't reply to contacts.

Their returns policy is to take the return to a collection point.

Keeping and selling the wrong goods is just a solution if it's legal to do so.
          Last edited by xxx999; 12th October 2023, 17:29:PM.

Comment

well in that case she explains to the company what happened, and asks them to rectify things.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks for your help, we'll give it a go.

Comment

Usually for an item bought over the phone there is a returns label to stick on the parcel and a form which allows the customer to state why they are returning the item which is put inside the packaging.
                For items bought on the internet the customer normally contacts the company, receives a bar code on their mobile, prints a returns label at the collection shop, sticks the label to the parcel and hands it to the shopkeeper.
                If the box is too large or heavy to carry to the collection point then the sender should arrange collection. It sounds like this may be the case with your friend.. If you have tried to contact the company to arrange collection and they haven't replied, your friend would be entitled to keep the item.

Comment

It's an online sale.

I've filled in their online contact form which has been acknowledged with:
                  "We aim to respond to all queries within 3 working days. We answer all enquiries in order of receipt and we are working as quickly as we can to answer all queries. If you do not receive a response within this timeframe please do not open a new ticket, simply reply to this email to let us know you are still waiting and we will get back to you as soon as we possibly can."

I didn't get that response when I filled it in before to try and cancel the order. So it's a wait and see what happens.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X