• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overpayment from lease company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpayment from lease company

Hi,

i had a car from a lease company that was stolen in December 2022. It went through insurance as a total loss (my own insurance). The insurance company paid the lease company around February 2023 and I was sent a remittance notice and the funds were transferred in to my bank account.

prior to this I was advised by the lease company that they buy the cars in bulk for a low price and they are not allowed to benefit from my loss and therefore I should expect a payment. The payment I received matched the remittance advice that was emailed to me. everything else was done between my insurance company and the lease company.

yesterday I received a phone call from the lease company who advised me they have sent me too much money because of their own error. They are now discussing with me how I pay this money back. It is a significant amount of money that I do not have. I used the money initially to pay off debt, believing it was rightfully mine.

I am not disputing that I have to pay it back. But I am very concerned that they are suggesting a payment plan for me but have said this will not go to credit agencies. However, in law, how is this enforced? What if I become critically ill? Or separate from my husband? I lose my job and cannot pay? I need advice on how to address this because it is their error and this is going to cause me to go back in to debt

thank you.
    Tags: None

If when you received the payment you did not think there was an error and had no reason to think so, then you appear to have a strong case to resist, particularly if you have spent the money believing it to be rightfully yours.

If I were you, I would make this argument. At the very least you can use it to negotiate a lower payment, spread over instalments.

​​​​​​
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X