• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Subject data request from millitary base

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject data request from millitary base

No idea if this should be in a differnt forum, but here goes. Something happened a few years ago that has really bothered me for a while.
    There is a big public road that is on the boundary of the base, plenty of people walk and drive past it and the base's couple of entrances every day. I'm part arabaina. Ive been stopped by millitary and local police a couple of times just for walking around the area which was annoying, but fine...

The incident that really get's me is when I asked a gate guard (at one of the main entrances to the base, which is right opposite loads of shops!) for directions/ a street name. My friend was going to pick me up nearby in his car. I think the guard looked really scared.. but gave me information I think. Anyway my friend picked me up shortly after and I was in a new friendship group of his and he get's a call from the millitary of defense, having it on loudspeaker where they had somehow traced his license plate and were asking him questions about me, "Is he dodgy" is the main thing I remember.

So to get more information is it a subject data request that I do? I have never done this before, any advice on if I do it in a different way for a millitary base? I'd love to at least see what's opn their system about me! Only problem is I have no idea what date this was. Was quite a few years ago now and lost contact with my friend. DO I have to include some kind of proof about my identity in the email? Surely I do otherwise anyone can request information on anybody?

Thankyou.
    Tags: None

How did the MOD get your friends phone number ?No use in you sending in a SAR if they dont have your name or do they?

Comment

There's model Subject Access Request Letter in the Shortcuts list on the right hand side of this forum, and also guidance and a model letter on the ICO site here: Preparing and submitting your subject access request | ICO

You only need to submit ID if and when they ask for it but normally you will be asked for ID before they deal with the request (to protect your data from being requested by someone else).

Is this a military base in the UK? Is it a British base or a US base? If it's a US base I don't think data access laws apply to them.

Why have you decided now that you want information relating to this incident now, many years after it happened? It's quite possible they will have no records, or given the vagueness about when it happened that they won't be able to find them.

Your description of what happened begs more questions than it answers and I can't see how they would have information on you at all. But if the underlying issue is that they might have you on a database reated to possible suspicious activity they won't tell you anyway. It would be exempt from a Data SAR request.

All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post
        There's model Subject Access Request Letter in the Shortcuts list on the right hand side of this forum, and also guidance and a model letter on the ICO site here: Preparing and submitting your subject access request | ICO

You only need to submit ID if and when they ask for it but normally you will be asked for ID before they deal with the request (to protect your data from being requested by someone else).

Is this a military base in the UK? Is it a British base or a US base? If it's a US base I don't think data access laws apply to them.

Why have you decided now that you want information relating to this incident now, many years after it happened? It's quite possible they will have no records, or given the vagueness about when it happened that they won't be able to find them.

Your description of what happened begs more questions than it answers and I can't see how they would have information on you at all. But if the underlying issue is that they might have you on a database reated to possible suspicious activity they won't tell you anyway. It would be exempt from a Data SAR request.
        Thanks to both of you. Ok, no point in me bothering then! Why would suspicious activity be exempt though?

Comment

Because police and intelligence services and their military equivalents are exempt from data SAR requests for any data they hold in connection with their policing and intelligence functions.
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X