• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unknowingly purchased stolen goods online

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknowingly purchased stolen goods online

In September 2020, a good friend who is a professional photographer in Sweden bought a Canon camera from EBay, which was advertised for sale by a private individual in the UK.

Two years later he sold the camera to another photographer in Sweden, who has been informed that the camera is registered as stolen on Canon’s website and it has been confiscated by the Swedish police.

The photographer who bought the camera is trying to force my friend to reimburse him for the confiscated camera

My friend contacted EBay who say that they are not responsible for purchases that far back in time, and have advised my friend to contact the UK police

He has contacted the Swedish police, who say that he is not responsible for the confiscated camera as he bought it in good faith from EBay

He now wants to know what legal protections he has under UK law, and any procedure he should be aware of in case there should be any threats of legal action towards him
    Tags: None

What action is he concerned might be taken against him that he needs protection from?

If Swedish police have confiscated the camera they will presumably return it to its lawful owner, who I presume is resident in the UK. So long as your Swedish friend wasn't involved in stealing the camera I don't understand what action might be taken against him that he needs protection from under UK law.

Regarding whether the other person he sold it to has a valid cause of action against him, he'd need to ask a Swedish lawyer. (Presuming Sweden has a distnction between civil law and criminal law I don't see how the Swedish police would know if he had a defence to a civil claim or not. He may not have committed a criminal offence as far as the police are concerned, but that doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have to refund the person he sold the stolen camera to. It all depends on Swedish law)

Comment

If the camera was sold the 2nd time on a selling site like ebay can the purchaser claim back from ebay?

Comment

The lawful owner may now be an insurance company.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X