• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BA - delayed flight claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA - delayed flight claim

BA failed to tell me about a cancellation of flight Rio De Janeiro to Amsterdam within 14 days. Under the EU directive I am entitled to 600 Euro. It was not extraordinary circumstances.

BA are refusing to honour their legal obligations. They point me to an exchange I had with them via email. I booked the flight with a flight voucher issued during Covid, and paid the difference with my card.

I received the voucher in settlement after starting separate legal proceedings against them last year.

Their legal representative told me that they wanted me to agree that "you will not take legal action (again) while travelling on this ticket" before issuing this voucher.

My understanding was this related to any/all issues up to that point, would not be litigated before/whilst travelling, and whilst the wording seemed confused, how could I possibly have a crystal ball and predict future problems? So I thought it could only mean they wanted assurances the voucher was accepted in final settlement and no more claims based on anything up to that point would be commenced.

I accepted on this basis. Then they failed to notify me the flight was cancelled, triggering the 600 Euro entitlement.

They are now refusing to honour their obligations under the EU directive, and tell me if I take legal action to force them to, "they are covered by our agreement."

I think this is ridiculous. Can anyone advise?

I would not even be taking legal action "whilst travelling on [the] ticket" and would be starting them after having returned home.

It seems to me that preciseness is important. Also, I think in general terms, a Judge would have a hard time accepting that I somehow was willing to disavow myself of all legal rights pertaining to any claim in the future not currently known about - as it could not even have happened yet, being in the future...

Last edited by Jackisin; 22nd December 2022, 17:04:PM.
    Tags: None

Can you please post the full wording of the terms you agreed in setting your earlier claim.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Lol there was no signed settlement agreement. That was essentially it.

Comment

lol can you please post the full wording of the thing you say was "essentially it".
        Last edited by atticus; 22nd December 2022, 21:27:PM.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I offered to settle the claim for a £700voucher ot make a future booking. They told me they accepted and would send me the voucher in a couple of days, as long as "you will not take legal action (again) while travelling on this ticket".

Comment

did you reply to that?

The wording is odd. It does not say that you agree not to take legal action in respect of any travel booked using that voucher. It might also be said that you have not brought any legal action while (not) travelling on a ticket bought using that voucher.

Comment

atticus what did you mean by that last part?

Comment

That the wording is odd. I question whether properly construed it has the effect that is now being claimed.

Did you reply? (see first paragraph of my previous post - this could be significant.)

Comment

I responded "Okay. I will not take any more legal action against BA"

Comment

Hmmm... And that is what you are doing. But does it give BA carte blanche to fail in its obligations to you with impunity? That takes me back to the points made in post no 6.

Comment

What did you mean by this? " It might also be said that you have not brought any legal action while (not) travelling on a ticket bought using that voucher."

Comment

atticus

Comment

Real life took me offline. That happens.

Were you travelling when you brought your legal action? Read carefully the words put forward by BA.

Comment

Nope. Was not. So you're saying I could say I am entitled to bring at least one legal action?

Comment

I am suggesting that the wording might not have the effect BA claims.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X