• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Non-transferable guarantees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-transferable guarantees

We moved to our new house a few months ago. There are two patio doors leading out to our back garden and these require repair and maintenance as the closing mechanism has become faulty. I am no longer able to lock the doors. The doors, fitted by a local company, carry a ten year guarantee as from August 2018. I contacted them to try and get someone to come out and fix things only to be told that the guarantee applies to the original purchaser of the doors, and not to the doors themselves. In other words the guarantee is non-transferable. Crazy, isn't it?
    How do I stand legally - do I have any redress at all with regard to this guarantee?
    Tags: None

Have you checked the guarantee wording? In other words, is what this company has told you correct?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Unfortunately, the wording on the guarantee says it's non-transferable.

Comment

https://www.checkatrade.com/blog/cos...lacement-cost/
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

You may consider threatening a court action outside the terms of the guarantee. What does the guarantee say about this?

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
            You may consider threatening a court action outside the terms of the guarantee.
            Court action against who and on what basis? The OP has no contract with the local company.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X