• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HIT BY STOLEN & UNINSURED VEHICLE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That might be what I'm thinking of.

Comment

Originally posted by Manxman View Post
      I don't want to complicate things unnecessarily, but cs101 , what makes you say the vehicle that crashed into your van was "uninsured"?

I know it had been stolen and that the driver would have been uninsured, but I didn't think that necessarily meant that the vehicle would be uninsured.

Unless a vehicle is SORN, it's a criminal offence if the owner doesn't have it insured. My understanding was that where a stolen vehicle is involved in an accident, then the vehicle's insurer (if there is one) is still liable to third parties even if it had been stolen.

I might very well be mistaken of course, but if I'm not I wouldn't be surprised if MIB rejected any claim on the grounds that the offending vehicle did have a valid policy on it.

[Edit: The fact the OP's own insurer isn't following this up suggests I'm either (a) hopelessly wrong, or (b) the vehicle really wasn't insured]
      Thanks. My own insurer since I have comprehensive Insurance are following this with MIB. They said that it will take MIB some time to make a decision.

Comment

Also, at the day of crash, I checked on MID which was showing that it had no insurance but on gov.uk site it showed that it had valid MOT and Road Tax.

Comment

Originally posted by cs101 View Post
          Also, at the day of crash, I checked on MID which was showing that it had no insurance but on gov.uk site it showed that it had valid MOT and Road Tax.
          OK. So it really was uninsured. Thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X