• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Am I being conned by my Kitchen Fitter? What are my options?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I being conned by my Kitchen Fitter? What are my options?

Dear forumites,

We have been planning for a new whole kitchen for 2 years now and finally embarked on the project. This is a small 5.5m X 3.5m kitchen. It was a supply & fit with my local kitchen company. When I initially approached them in January'22, they were two partners - an experienced kitchen fitter and the owner who also had some experience. In March, when I made the 50% deposit I came to know that the partners fell out and the fitter left the company.

The owner promised to complete the kitchen using professional fitters. As promised, a team of 4 fitters were supposed to come and complete 90% of the kitchen in 2 days (over a weekend in March'22). They came for a day and fitted all the cabinets. As they were waiting for more material to arrive from the manufactures, they did not arrive the next day.

For whatever reason, the owner fell out with them and asked them not to come back. The owner, after a couple of weeks came with the material and a workman from his workshop and started doing my kitchen. Apparently the helper suffers from OCD and also stresses if anyone watches his work. He had to be left alone to complete the job. They took over 3 weeks on and off and made me pay 90% of the money (£13K). The workman cracked the solid surface Mirostone worktop and a couple of doors whilst trying to get a perfect fit. This was in the first week of May. He stopped coming from the next day calling in sick due to stress.

The owner, after a couple of weeks brought in a joiner to fit a couple of cabinets that have been leftover and got the hob and sink working.

We asked for the Mirostone worktop and the broken doors to be replaced. The owner said he contacted the manufacturer for a replacement and having a discussion with them to try and get the worktop free of charge.

Now, coming to the end of June, my kitchen is not 100% complete. Splashback, Flooring, Painting & Electrics are yet to be done! The owner started accusing us that we broke the worktop and the doors overnight whilst they were away!

He is carrying on with other jobs and paying least attention to ours. I only have £1.5K left from what I have to pay him. I have asked him to drop all the required material (splashback, glass cabinet doors, cornice doors, worktop) and that I will find someone else to complete our kitchen. He agreed to this earlier this week but is not dropping the material giving one or the other reason.

Its been a real nightmare. Any suggestions on how I can proceed with this?
    Tags: None

I had virtually the same experience, but the infamous Builder,(Lesson one never pay first if they don't have the money to complete the job, don't employ them)) so we needed a Quarantine built. Builder arrives to level the ground, he employed / sub-contracted a Bricklayer he proceeds, halfway wall built, Builder sacks the Bricklayer, by chance I arrived at the job just as the Bricklayer was walking off-site, to be told, we were told to get off-site, I told him this is my job you carry on I will pay you once the wall is built, the Builder arrived and demanded full payment, I told him once you finish the job I will pay, he did, but it transpired that the partners had parted the business, his ex-partner then arrived and demanded full payment, some hope. The moral is never pay anything in advance. As you will then have to sue the installer, chances are you will never get your money back, so employ somebody reputable to complete your kitchen, but get references and check previous installs.

Comment

a) Get several builders (do research on builder, check reviews etc) to give you a free quote to put the work right including materials.

b) Contact CAB / Trading Standards, report builder, get Reference Number.

c) Consider taking the matter to the small claims court, follow CPR rules.

d) Is the builder a member of any trading bodies, associations?

Comment

Thank you DE DOGS & echat11 for taking the time and responding to my thread.
        Originally posted by echat11 View Post

d) Is the builder a member of any trading bodies, associations?
        I don't think so. This is Living Space Interiors in Sutton Coldfield.

Comment

echat11 , As advised, I have contacted the Trading Standards who suggested I exercise my consumer rights act and make a formal complaint to the Kitchen Place and give them reasonable amount of time to put things right. The trading Standards provided me with a reference number and suggested I use a template that is available on their website. I searched for one but could not find yet

If things are still not sorted after my complaint, as you have mentioned, I will need to go to the small claims court.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyvish View Post
            echat11 , As advised, I have contacted the Trading Standards who suggested I exercise my consumer rights act and make a formal complaint to the Kitchen Place and give them reasonable amount of time to put things right. The trading Standards provided me with a reference number and suggested I use a template that is available on their website. I searched for one but could not find yet

If things are still not sorted after my complaint, as you have mentioned, I will need to go to the small claims court.
            Have a read on the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The template is missing from their website, maybe give them another ring.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...-improvements/

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...k-aWG3g5O4RZCh

Include the CAB / Trading Standards Ref number in your letter to the builder.

Comment

Thank you, I have made a formal complaint to the Kitchen owner requesting him to complete my kitchen in two weeks time. I have emailed him and also sent a copy in post by taking 'proof of postage'. I will have to wait and see what he comes back with.

Comment

It appears as though Steve (Kitchen business owner) is ignoring us. He hasn't called or replied to us. My wife went to see him at his workshop this afternoon and he says he is annoyed with my complaint to him. He still says he is not refusing to do our kitchen but he doesn't know when he can do the work. He says he got an operation done (which is true) so he cannot do our kitchen until he is on the mend.

I guess he will playing this card now (medical grounds) if I take this to court. But he is merrily taking new orders and carrying on with the business as usual. He mentioned to my wife that he hasn't got £320 to order the worktop so he is working on other jobs to get some money before he can do ours. He has been saying this for over a month now!

I gave him until 15th Jul to complete the job but he doesn't seem to take it seriously. What can be my next course of action?

Comment

Originally posted by crazyvish View Post
                  It appears as though Steve (Kitchen business owner) is ignoring us. He hasn't called or replied to us. My wife went to see him at his workshop this afternoon and he says he is annoyed with my complaint to him. He still says he is not refusing to do our kitchen but he doesn't know when he can do the work. He says he got an operation done (which is true) so he cannot do our kitchen until he is on the mend.

I guess he will playing this card now (medical grounds) if I take this to court. But he is merrily taking new orders and carrying on with the business as usual. He mentioned to my wife that he hasn't got £320 to order the worktop so he is working on other jobs to get some money before he can do ours. He has been saying this for over a month now!

I gave him until 15th Jul to complete the job but he doesn't seem to take it seriously. What can be my next course of action?
                  You could consider sending him a Letter before Action (that's part of CPR protocols, something the Courts expect you to do).
                  Make sure you get Proof of Postage. Wait until after the 15th July.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...m-aSFAC8Q6Jqan

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X