• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What date would be considered the official breach of contract date?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What date would be considered the official breach of contract date?

If you bought something online and it didn't turn up in the mail?
    Tags: None

If you ask because of a concern about possible limitation, it would be safest to use the date on which you placed the order. Otherwise, I cannot see that it would be relevant on the information that you have given.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      If you ask because of a concern about possible limitation, it would be safest to use the date on which you placed the order. Otherwise, I cannot see that it would be relevant on the information that you have given.
      I am claiming because I bought something May 26th 2016 online and it is in my diary to litigate by tomorrow.

The item did not turn up.

Want to find out if I have a little more time, i.e. could I use a later date? Such as date it became known as lost?

Comment

The limitation period for bringing a breach of contract claim starts on the date the breach occurred. That date in question is not always easy to answer, particularly in your case where there is a failure to deliver. Depending on how you view it, the date of breach could the date it should have been delivered or possibly a later date if you agreed for an attempted re-delivery. You are best to err on the side of caution and get your claim in as soon as possible.

It is always very risky leaving a claim until the very last minute as you run the risk of running out of time and the defendant arguing that your claim is time-barred. There may also be other complications that you might run into depending on how savvy the defendant (or their legal representative is). For example, the defendant might have a valid defence against the claim arguing that it is prejudiced by the claim because it no longer has any evidence or records pertaining to the alleged breach or order and in fact, since this appears to be a straight-froward non-delivery breach of contract, issuing the claim at the end of the limitation period is an abuse of process and should be struck out by the court.

That kind of argument is what is known as 'warehousing' in which a claimant holds on to a claim for a lengthy period of time without considering or having no intention to bring a claim. Not all warehousing claims are automatically an abuse of process, but it would require you to provide an explanation as to why you have chosen to wait 6 years when the claim could have been brought much earlier.

Of course, all of the above depends on the trader's appetite to defend the case and depending on the value you are claiming, the trader might just pay you off.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Get your claim into court tomorrow!
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you both

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X