• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Party Wall / Boundary Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Party Wall / Boundary Issue

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on a particularly tricky situation I've found myself in.

My neighbour wishes to build an extension at the rear of their house (it has already been passed by the council). They have proposed for their extension to be built on their half of the party wall.

However, the houses were built in the 1980s and are not flush, so they are staggered, with my property being longer and protruding further forward, whereas the neighbouring property is wider (the rear of our buildings are flush).

The issue I have, is that my building has been rendered, and this render has been present since the house was built. Now, I've measured the width of the front of the house to be 520cm and the back of the house, to the rendering, to be 520cm also. After talking to a party surveyor over the phone today though, he says these measurements are nul and void, because the front of the house is not attached to their house so these measurements cannot be used? Is this correct.

I am more than happy for my neighbour to chop some of the rendering out and put up their extension there if it is indeed true that the rendering has gone over. However, and the thing that is bugging me the most, regardless of the party wall, boundary wall, but their wall that will replace some of my rendering will essentially be under MY roof. And I say my roof, because my roof is higher than the neighbours, so when you look from the rear and follow the roof down, you will see some of their extension under our roof.

I hope this makes sense. It is so hard to explain and I'm going round in circles trying to get answers.

Can anyone help please? I can provide a picture if it helps.

Kind regards,
    Jako
    Tags: None

You may need to consult a party wall surveyor, for advice not only about what can be done but also about the process, paperwork etc.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      You may need to consult a party wall surveyor, for advice not only about what can be done but also about the process, paperwork etc.
      I am under the impression (from telephone conversations) that a party wall surveyor will confirm that the rendering is slightly over - albeit in the centre of the 2 windows upstairs and in line with the roof. I am just struggling to get my head around the fact that my neighbour will be able to put their wall up and essentially I will look up and it's under my roof?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X