• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bought a camera off an acquaintance after being assured repair was only £100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a camera off an acquaintance after being assured repair was only £100

Hello!

I bought a camera off an acquaintance after being assured repair would cost £100 but... in actuality I got told by the shop he got the quote from it would cost £600, and it wasn't a sure thing they could fix it (it's an old film camera - Makina plaubel for the curious).

His exact words were "its not a pricey fix just not had time to go london", and when I asked how much a repair would cost he said "around 100, otherwise its perfect". (In fact the camera has lightleaks through the bellows too).

I offered to him to split the repair bill, to which he agreed. He then backtracked and said no, as he'd be selling the camera for a fraction of the price.

In the end he agreed to take the camera back and refund me. This was November-ish last year.

Since then I've spoken to him multiple times (nicely I might add) about when he can take the camera back and refund me.

He's told me numerous times, "I'll refund you now/tomorrow/this week and pick the camera up don't worry", but still hasn't ended up doing so.

Getting to the point where I think he's just going to keep saying this until I give up.

I have all this in message form, do I have any legal grounds to pursue this? Do I have a case for a legally binding contract?

I have screenshots from instagram and SMS as evidence of everything I've said here.

(In reality I know I was naive to believe him without checking first, but as I was assured by a mutual friend he was legit I trusted him. I bought the camera off him when we lived in the same city but since then I have moved away for university).

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you so much.
    Tags: None

Hi CK208

Small Claim Court, write him a Letter Before Action, send it Recorded Delivery.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/la...a-small-claim/

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi CK208

Small Claim Court, write him a Letter Before Action, send it Recorded Delivery.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/la...a-small-claim/
      Thank you I'll look into it and ask them for advice. Do you think it's worth it contacting him one last time about my plan of action to see if it changes anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ck208 View Post

Thank you I'll look into it and ask them for advice. Do you think it's worth it contacting him one last time about my plan of action to see if it changes anything.
        You could do, summarize the contact made to date.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

You could do, summarize the contact made to date.
          I've contacted citizens advice and summarized everything to date. Thank you for your help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X