• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scam ESTA site - section 75

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam ESTA site - section 75

Would be grateful for any help please. Family member well aware of the scams sending you to non official sites was in a hurry and mistakenly ordered an ESTA via a scam site - charge was £101. Bank say they will try chargeback but not certain. I believe he can claim under S75. Can anyone help with how to do this in this situation? Many thanks!
    Tags: None

How was payment made?

It might be an idea to report to Action Fraud, they will issue a Crime Ref Number.

Section 75 only applies if they have made payment by Credit Card.

Need more details. I'm thinking there is a Iceland connection here, a lot of these scams originate from Reykjavík.

Comment

Yes it was a credit card. Rang bank and they are trying chargeback but as he put in the details it is unlikely to work. Wil report to Action Fraud thank you

Comment

Some third party sites aren't scams, but are rip-off's that charge extra (like a added service), if that is the case and they are legit, then it might be possible (hard work) to get the money back.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo...as_Nevada.html

Comment

I am not afraid of hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
            I am not afraid of hard work!
            Cool, so is the site legit? that actually provides a service.

I had a 'scam' perpetrated on me last month, small amount. I think a legit business has perpetrated the 'scam' themselves. Why do I think that? there are multiple claims from people stretching back a couple of years with the same company. You would think that, because they know about it they would do something.

Comment

The scam site did not ask the same questions as the real one so no ESTA would have been possible. Any thoughts on how to go about a s75 claim - do I just write to the bank who issued the card?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                The scam site did not ask the same questions as the real one so no ESTA would have been possible. Any thoughts on how to go about a s75 claim - do I just write to the bank who issued the card?
                O.K. so 'scammers'.

Make sure you write the Action Fraud Number on the letter, amend the template, explain that the money was taken fraudulently -

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...d-aXguF1H5XZVH

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...m-aJaoI3v7hX02

You could make a complaint to the FOS, it would cost them a lot more to look in to your complaint then just refunding the £101 as a 'goodwill' gesture.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X