• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Interesting question - quarantine hotel booking agency Corporate Travel Management...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting question - quarantine hotel booking agency Corporate Travel Management...

A good friend is stuck in a country which is on the red list. Visited Thailand for a wedding 3 weeks ago, country went on to the red list two weeks ago. Paid for the flights with his bank card.

He has to pay £2300 for a quarantine hotel.

The company that run this service for the UK, booking said hotels, are meant to put into place installment payment plans for people who do not have that much money that they can spend. They have a UK service address.

There is no information about the payment plans or anything like it online, only a contact email address and phone number.

Emails for last week have been ignored.

He tried to call with Skype, could not hear the other person.

Had to revert to using his UK phoneline.

Called three times last week, was on hold an hour each time, before someone in India answered and he could not hear them.

Called again and recorded that, as well as several calls this week. He got through to an Indian woman last week, in her house in India, dogs barking and kids screaming in the background. They could hardly hear each other. The line on their end was just terrible.

This lady had no details on the payment plan, so he arranged for her to email him.

No email sent since.

Three calls, all over an hour, all unanswered, made this week.

He has spent over £300 on calls.

I tried calling today, on hold 90 minutes with nobody coming to the phone.

Their operation is clearly not fit for purpose.

It is quite obviously going to be a case that they know people are calling from abroad, that's the purpose of what they arrange.

How can my friend get his call costs back from this useless company that the Government has put in charge of helping the public in situations like this? What would be the legal basis? Intention to form a contract? Negligent misstatement?

Last edited by Lord Byron; 13th September 2021, 06:01:AM.
    Tags: None

Sorry, double posted. Now removed one so this is the thread ot respond to, if you are willing.

Comment

Can you give dates?
      Can you name the country?
      Can you give details of when the country went onto the 'Red List'?
      The payment method for the visit / holiday was booked?

Comment

I don't think the questions are relevant really.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Byron View Post
          I don't think the questions are relevant really.
          If it wasn't relevant I wouldn't be asking.

Comment

echat11 edited to add that info

Comment

So he was already a week in Thailand when the country was put on the 'Red List'.

You say it's a bank card, is it a visa debit card or a credit card?

Comment

Visa Debit.

Comment

Also did your friend buy travel insurance prior to trip? Because he traveled before the advisory from the Government on Thailand i.e. 'Red List', his insurance company might be able to help.

If it had been a credit card, he might of been able to claim the consequential losses, because it's a Visa Debit I don't think he can, but he could try.

https://www.visa.co.uk/pay-with-visa/coronavirus.html

Contact the FCDO to complain about the company, the fact they aren't responding to calls -

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...istance-abroad

Comment

This is my question:

"How can my friend get his call costs back from this useless company that the Government has put in charge of helping the public in situations like this? What would be the legal basis? Intention to form a contract? Negligent misstatement?"

Comment

This is my question:

"How can my friend get his call costs back from this useless company that the Government has put in charge of helping the public in situations like this? What would be the legal basis? Intention to form a contract? Negligent misstatement?"
                      Write to the company ask for the costs of the calls back, the company are providing the service (on behalf of the Government). Services are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...ntents/enacted

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Write to the company ask for the costs of the calls back, the company are providing the service (on behalf of the Government). Services are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Thank you Echat I appreciate your help.

Comment

A good friend is stuck in a country which is on the red list. Visited Thailand for a wedding 3 weeks ago, country went on to the red list two weeks ago. Paid for the flights with his bank card.

He has to pay £2300 for a quarantine hotel.
                          Does he have to travel back to the UK directly from Thailand?

For example: He could spend 11 nights in France or Ireland, without the need to quarantine, and then head on to the UK - avoiding the quarantine hotel requirement altogether.

Comment

Lord Byron I looked through this entire document:

Is there a part particularly referring to Government and acting on their behalf, or is it more that they are a company hired by Government to provide a service and they failed miserably?

Comment

Lord Byron I looked through this entire document:

Is there a part particularly referring to Government and acting on their behalf, or is it more that they are a company hired by Government to provide a service and they failed miserably?
                              'more that they are a company hired by Government to provide a service and they failed miserably'

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X