• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Solar panels issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar panels issue

Keeping it brief, purchased solar panels in 2011 paying deposit by MasterCard of £5k was guaranteed good returns after 10 years but this has not materialised . Spoke to MasterCard and Halifax a few years back about the under performance, but both stated the 10 years had not elapsed so I could not claim under section 75 … The 10 years is nearly up, so have tried contacting the company yet again, and find they are no longer trading … I also have learnt that I now cannot make a claim under section 75 as the purchase is over 6 years !! It seems I am caught between

Waiting for the goods to arrive ( which didn’t happen ie the return of investment}
    Being denied a claim as the expiry date of the expected return had not been achieved
    Mis- information from both card company and Halifax not accepting the claim whilst within a six year period
    Company ceased trading
    Company also stated the expiry date had not been achieved ( when trading}

Any suggestions/ ideas would be appreciated
    Tags: None

Hi Quovadisuk

If I haven't misunderstood, when you say under performance, there is a 'big unknown' with solar panels, the electricity they generate depends on the sun. When you got the solar panels they must of made you aware of that in the literature provided.

Comment

Thank you for your reply …. No we were given a good sales pitch that guaranteed our investment back and more in 10 years Fortunately I have kept all the paperwork that suggests this along with a bank statement of what it has produced ( returned ) to date and this has only been half of what was promised, hence the concern to raise the issue now as the full 10 year plan ends this September ..l

Comment

Hi Quovadissuk

Write to Halifax (Mastercard), tell them you are making a claim under Section 75, send it Recorded Delivery to their Registered Office. You need to give them dates, the background behind your claim, what they said to you. If they are reluctant to resolve your claim (which I think they will be), you need to make sure they send you a 'deadlock' letter. Explain that the Solar Business closed down.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...edit-provider/

Then you can progress your claim to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Comment

Without commenting on the merits of your claim The Limitation Act 1980 allows for a claim to be made up to 6 years after the cause of action accrues.
          In this case the cause of action cannot commence until 10 years after the purchase.

Section 75 of CCA 1974 makes the credit card issuer jointly and severally liable with the supplier.

I see no reason why the credit card issuer should not be sued (if that is the action you wish to take) as you are within 6 years of the cause of action accruing.
          Obviously they will resist, but this doesn't make them correct

Comment

Thank you to all have taken the time to post . I have taken on board your comments and suggestions and will update you all as things develop …kind regards

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X