• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Agent transfer of ownership of goods (SoGA)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agent transfer of ownership of goods (SoGA)

Hello,

I’m hoping someone can help me with an issue relating to VAT liability, but which is underpinned by ownership of goods.

Essentially, I am seeking to establish my VAT liability as a sole trader operating an online retail business in an agent capacity - it would commonly be described as a dropshipping model:

A purchases from me (B) on an online marketplace for an unascertained product based on the product description published by B
    B does not own this product, but subsequently purchases it from another online marketplace (C)
    In completing the billing address and shipping address details, B instructs C to ship the product directly to A

My question is, assuming the only details in the contracts between A and B, and B and C are that the contact between B and C forms at the point of dispatch, if and when does B take ownership of the goods and if and when does this ownership transfer to A?

This relates to VAT liability as it is hoped that B’s position can be both one of an agent but also a non-limited cost business, such that under the Flat Rate Scheme, the liability is that of w “retail business not elsewhere classified” (6.5%) rather than a “limited cost business” (16.5%). For the latter to be true, B must take transitory ownership of the relevant goods.

Bit of a complicated one and speaks to the lack of case law covering this area and the draft Bill put forwards by the Law Commission in relation to this grey area, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
    Tags: None

It would appear the devil is in the detail
    Why would it be assumed that the contract between B and C forms at the point of dispatch from C and not at the point B takes delivery?

What happens if the goods are lost in transit between C and B? who carries the risk and is A then liable to B?

Comment

In this case, C was primarily Amazon UK, which states in its Conditions of Sale: “We only accept your offer, and conclude the contract of sale for a product ordered by you, when we dispatch the product to you and send e-mail confirmation to you that we've dispatched the product to you.” (Source: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=201489400)
      Also note that B never takes delivery - C delivers directly to A.

As a PS, I should have noted that the agent capacity is considered to be disclosed, so the intention is to demonstrate that B is a disclosed agent and also a non-limited cost business.

Thanks!

Comment

Sorry I read it wrong but the question of risk in transit is still valid.

Comment

Presumably courier is liable to C through contract 1, C is liable to B through contract 2 and B is liable to A through contract 3?

Comment

Are you presently VAT registered and are you in the UK?

Comment

I am no longer VAT registered but this relates to a period when I was, and yes, I am based in the UK.

Comment

If you are not registered for VAT then you will only be selling at an item at £x only. If you are purchasing something then a trader can quite legitimately charge you VAT as a separate item which you must pay.

Example
                You buy goods from dropshipper at £20 + Vat = £24-00
                You sell item to purchaser at £40 - the only extra may be a delivery charge.

You have no VAT liability to HMRC.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X