• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter Before Action - Faulty Used Car purchased 5 months ago

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry another quick question - where you have stated 'J bloggs t/a xxxx' should I put the name of the person that sold the car or shall I only put the company name?

On a separate note I've noticed on companies House website that the previous director (who was also the person selling the car) has resigned and a new director took charge last month. Will this have any bearing on the claim?

Your support is much appreciated!

Comment

Why would you include insurance?
      You admit to having covered 2500 miles and only ceased using it at beginning of month.

Comment

To clarify that would be insurance costs from when I stopped using the vehicle.

For the particulars of claim I'll include the company name only as the person that sold the car is no longer a director at the company.

Comment

Your claim can only be against the company.

Comment

Thanks des8.

Sorry final question - noticed that the address on companies House is their accountants address. Should I use this address as the claim or their actual place of business as per their website?

Comment

Belt and braces ..... send to both!

Technically sent to registered address is sufficient, but if they have failed to register a change of address, or if the accountant is off sick, problems can arise

Comment

Only allows me to send to one address on money claim website unfortunately so I've gone with the place of business. Will keep the forum updated as and when things happen.

Comment

Court documents have to be served on the registered office of a limited company. Serving any other address is not a valid service.

Comment

Or can be served to a place were they ordinarily do business.

Comment

as per CPR 6.9 (2) 6
                      6. Company registered in England and Wales Principal office of the company; or
                      any place of business of the company within the jurisdiction which has a real connection with the claim.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                        as per CPR 6.9 (2) 6
                        6. Company registered in England and Wales Principal office of the company; or
                        any place of business of the company within the jurisdiction which has a real connection with the claim.
                        Thank I've just read CPR 6.9 in full. I stand corrected

Comment

Received a response from the garage requesting 14 additional days. They've also responded saying that the car engine has been stripped without any permission from them. Although I am not sure where they got that information from. They've admitted part of the claim and as previously they've again offered £600 claiming that the £1,200 + VAT for repair job is for a new part.

I've rejected the offer as I'd rather reject the vehicle outright and receive a refund or failing that they can arrange for the repair of the vehicle as the £600 is no way near sufficient to cover the cost of the repairs and labour even with second hard parts.

They have agreed to go through the mediation service - Has anyone had any experience of the mediation service and would it be worth going down this route? As mentioned above I would ideally prefer to reject the vehicle outright and recover my costs.

Comment

You might as well go along with mediation.
                            It is implemented via telephone.
                            Each party tells the mediator his position, and the mediator shuffles from one to the other.
                            You don't speak or even hear each other... the mediator does it all.
                            If you can't come to an agreement the case will continue

If they offer (during mediation) full collection, repair and return which you are persuaded to accept, do so on the strict understanding that they pay for a third party (nominated by you) to check the repair work

Comment

Thanks for that and good idea regarding checking the repair work.

Just filling out my response and it's asking 'Do you want other people to give evidence? Do you want other people to give evidence?
                              This could be anyone who can confirm your version of events.'. Should I answer yes for this? I do have an email from the garage I took the car to to diagnose the problem which explains what the issue is and the quote to get it fixed which I plan on presenting as evidence. Technically that would be a statement from the witness?

Comment

I would answer "no" as you are unlikely to need to call him. even though using the email in your witness statement

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X