• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another used car problem, eBay & contactless delivery!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another used car problem, eBay & contactless delivery!

Afternoon all,

Im turning to wise folk to help with my issues. The funny thing is, if I was approached by somebody in my situation, I’d be able to tell them almost exactly what to do, but now I’m in it, it’s a little foggy!

Anyway, I bought a car on eBay (I know, groan groan). It gets a little less normal here. I buy cars that need love, and fix them up, because it saves me money and I’ve got the capabilities. So I found a car on eBay that ticked the boxes, the seller is a trader, and was selling this particular car (Landrover Discovery) with no MOT, and 1 fault - a problem with the electrical handbrake. He’d taken it in as a P/X and didn’t want to spend the money on it and resell it. On the surface, that’s fine. I did some research and deemed it a fair enough deal and bought it unseen. He delivered the car as promised, and we had a contactless interaction, and he went on his way. I left the car over night, to decontaminate, and went out to it this morning for a nose around. As he stated, the handbrake does not work - that’s fine, I can fix it or get it fixed. Then the problems started, as soon as I started the engine, warnings and lights on the dash. ‘Suspension malfunction - ride height cannot be adjusted’ and because of this, all the various off road functions are disabled. The remote key doesn’t work, which he did tell me....but not untill after I’d paid him, when he delivered it. He wouldn’t give me the key until I’d paid him. Also, the parking sensors don’t work, not as much of an issue, but annoying non the less. He was a likeable guy, and gave seemingly good service. On the phone he said he’d give me a receipt etc, but gave me nothing. He must’ve known the other faults were there, it took him 2 hours to get the car to me, and he drove it! The lights and messages will have been binging at him!

The advert doesn’t say this is a ‘spares or repair’ vehicle, it’s been sold as a vehicle with a fault. But in the advert it says ‘everything works as it should’ obviously not including the handbrake. The advert also says that it’s a Trade sale, but I don’t really know what that’s supposed to mean.

because the car has been sold with a known problem, does it have impact on my consumer rights at all? Does it waver them in some way because the car has an issue and no MOT? The car was well priced for needing the described work carried out, but now it needs investigation into the terrain response equipment, I’ve paid way too much! If he’d listed it, in its true condition, I wouldn’t of bought it. I’ve sent him a message on eBay about it. And as an immediate reaction, I’ve told him I don’t want it and to come and get it, but had no reply (despite him replying in moments when I was asking about buying it). I’m in a position now, where I would like to keep the car, it’s the right spec and suits me well, but I’ve absolutely been mis sold it. And even after doing the work that he told me it needs, I won’t be able to get it through and MOT until it’s fixed!
    Tags: None

So he sold you a car in an unroadworthy condition, an offence for starters. Consumer Rights Act 2015 goods not of merchantable quality. Reject immediately within the first 30 days

Comment

The issue is, I wouldn’t mind keeping the car. Also, he totally untraceable! He’s partnered up with legit garage, and runs a small business called JCC that apparently import American muscle cars. But they’ve got no website or formal address etc. I’ve tried to contact him on eBay and he hasn’t responded to me

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X