• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vehicle bought with outstanding hire purchase agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle bought with outstanding hire purchase agreement

Hi

Hoping for some help on purchase of a Vehicle with outstanding hire purchase agreement.

Car was advertised on ebay by private seller and bought via bank transfer to the seller. The logbook was in sellers name. 6 months later a letter received from finance company saying vehicle was subject to hire purchase agreement. Having spoken to seller it turns out he is not the one who took out the finance it may have been the person who sold him the car as he has also received correspondence from finance company.
    The seller has confirmed when he bought the car he did not know vehicle was subject to HP however whilst I do believe this, I suspect that he may have been approached by finance company and then quickly sold it.

​​I believe section 27 HPA 1964 would help in passing ownership if first private purchaser bought in good faith without knowledge that vehicle had hire purchase agreement.

I am not first private purchaser so does S.27 apply to second or third private purchaser in the chain?

Will it make a difference if the previous seller was not aware of hire agreement when he bought the vehicle but did know about the finance and then sold it?

Seller prepared to provide statement of truth to confirm he also bought in good faith etc.

Any templates responses to give finance company would be greatly appreciated or if decide ignore them if I have no defence or ownership rights what action can they take?

​​​​
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Subs187 View Post
    Hi

Hoping for some help on purchase of a Vehicle with outstanding hire purchase agreement.

Car was advertised on ebay by private seller and bought via bank transfer to the seller. The logbook was in sellers name. 6 months later a letter received from finance company saying vehicle was subject to hire purchase agreement. Having spoken to seller it turns out he is not the one who took out the finance it may have been the person who sold him the car as he has also received correspondence from finance company.
    The seller has confirmed when he bought the car he did not know vehicle was subject to HP however whilst I do believe this, I suspect that he may have been approached by finance company and then quickly sold it.

​​I believe section 27 HPA 1964 would help in passing ownership if first private purchaser bought in good faith without knowledge that vehicle had hire purchase agreement.

I am not first private purchaser so does S.27 apply to second or third private purchaser in the chain?

Will it make a difference if the previous seller was not aware of hire agreement when he bought the vehicle but did know about the finance and then sold it?

Seller prepared to provide statement of truth to confirm he also bought in good faith etc.

Any templates responses to give finance company would be greatly appreciated or if decide ignore them if I have no defence or ownership rights what action can they take?

​​​​
    Thanks
    Very difficult to answer with just the info above, but in principle yes, title would pass as long as s27 engages with the first sale/purchase.

That seems to me to be the key, as long as you can show the seller had title then in theory so do you
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the V5 was in the sellers name and I have the original V5 in sellers name as he left it to me to notify dvla and when I did the bank transfer it was also into the same account as the name of the seller.

Would it be good idea to get signed statement of truth from seller to confirm he was private buyer and bought in good faith without knowledge of the car having any outstanding finance and then send that along with my response or best to send my response only covering section 27 at this stage?

Comment

Originally posted by Subs187 View Post
        Thanks for your reply.

Yes the V5 was in the sellers name and I have the original V5 in sellers name as he left it to me to notify dvla and when I did the bank transfer it was also into the same account as the name of the seller.

Would it be good idea to get signed statement of truth from seller to confirm he was private buyer and bought in good faith without knowledge of the car having any outstanding finance and then send that along with my response or best to send my response only covering section 27 at this stage?
        Worth doing yes
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X