• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cancel an Informal Extension?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancel an Informal Extension?

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all coping with the current situation and making the best out of it.

My 27 month car lease with VWFS ended in January but I opted for an informal extension of 3 months.* Thing is, I don't need the car now.* As it was an informal extension is it within my rights to cancel my direct debit and leave the car on public land?* Payment is due to come out in 2 days for the final month of the informal extension.* Nothing was signed, not even a confirmation email.* It was all just done verbally as VWFS insisted.

I sent them an email earlier in the week.* I tried ringing today but I've been stuck on hold for ages.* Also tried contacting BCA directly but they are shut down.

Just wanting to know if cancelling my DD and leaving the car in a safe place is legally acceptable.
    Tags: None

What does the terms say about extension or variation?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi R0b, I hope you've been well.

All I can find on the agreement is:

The front sheet stating 23 rentals of £270, expiring January 2020.

The terms open with "We agree to hire to you, and you agree to hire from us, the Vehicle described on page 1 of this Agreement for the duration of the hiring period shown on page 1 ('the Hiring period') on the following Terms." (it then proceeds to list the terms)

I can't find anything at all in there about an informal extension. I can't even find anything on formal extensions. This agreement appears to strictly be just for the 23 month duration of the agreement. The informal extension was verbal and I scribbled down on my pad (which is at work, where I won't be returning for a while) what was said - I'm not certain but I seem to remember them saying I can extend for 3 months but let them know if it would be shorter...

It seems to be a grey area to just cancel my Direct Debit after sending them an email and two failed long phone calls listening to terrible hold music. I might just have to bite the bullet and pay that last payment.

Comment

Anything around variation of the terms or amendment to the terms of the agreement even if it says that the hire contract cannot be amended without consent or written consent etc.

If there's nothing in there around variation or amendments or extending the term of the hire then you could argue that the informal extension was a variation to the agreement particularly if you've already paid the first 2 months. If there are specific requirements to vary the contract then you might be able to get away with not paying, but that's a risk down to you.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Fair enough thanks R0b I think I'll leave it. Only 1 month left on the contract.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X