• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Notice to builder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice to builder

Can the house owner send a notice letter to the builder for terminating him and the decision to look out for alternative tradesmen to complete his pending works that was left incomplete for months? Builder was chased up for months already to complete his pending works, after which he came in for less than a week but left most of the works undone. We prefer not to let him again as his work has been shambolic and have done more damage than before during his second attempt to complete his works.
    Tags: None

Hi, that sounds awful! I can understand why you would want to give notice.*
    When you say chased up could you explain further what this entailed. For example, did you formally email explaining your concerns and asking for these to be solved. If not, this is a good idea as if the dispute does go to a third party you will have records that you attempted to solve the situation.*

It is also a good idea to take pictures of all the work you are not happy with. These would be useful to send in the email, explaining why they do not meet the standards you expected.*
    If you send off notice to the builder it is likely he will charge you certain fees such as a cancellation fee, payment for the work completed already and potentially payment for items brought for the work that has not yet been installed. So you should be prepared for this.

However, it sounds like you may have grounds for a breach of contract. Especially since you provided a chance to remedy the situation. In which case you could be entitled to get your money back for the breach.*

Your ability to argue a fundamental breach of the contract would be affected by whether your contract was verbal or oral and what records you have of the work promised and done.*
    Hope this helps!*
    I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X