• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BULLYING / INTIMIDATION BY ROYAL MAIL STAFF - What can I do please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BULLYING / INTIMIDATION BY ROYAL MAIL STAFF - What can I do please?

*Royal Mail staff bullying and intimidating me / harassment campaign*

(Sorry, I didn't know where to post)

The whole story. Sorry, this is lengthy, but I really need some advice.

My problems began years ago, when a postman rammed a package through the letterbox, smashing the back off the letterbox, with components and springs on my hall floor. The package was ruined too. I complained to RM, and received a book of first class stamps as compensation, and had to pay £14 for a new letterbox.
    After that, the postman left parcels on my doorstep, and never knocked the door. I live in a main road, so they were easy to steal whilst I was at work. This postman would never close my wooden gate thereafter, and it would smash and bang in the wind all day, which damaged it. I didn't raise a complaint about this, but put a note on the gate asking for them to close the gate. That was ignored, so for safety of my property and concern over theft of mail, I permanently locked the gate, and put another note up saying that mail had to be delivered at the rear of the house now. This was no effort for the postman, as he had to use the rear lane to deliver mail to other neighbours daily, and had to pass the rear of my house. I had a mailbox put out there specifically, so that they didn't have to deviate far from the lane to give me my mail. Approx 2ft only.

Then my mail stopped being delivered, or was sent to the local pub, or funeral directors across the road or next door offices. No card was ever left, so I had to knock doors constantly to see if anyone had my mail.
    This went on for a long time, then our postal round was given a new postman who was really friendly and would be pleasant when he saw me, and I always got my mail.
    Then that all changed, and the round became a 'relief' round (he told me this was going to happen) Every other day, we were getting a new post person, who reverted back to sending my mail all over the place, plus I had to go and regularly deliver my neighbours mail back to them.

Bearing in mind that I am physically disabled, and the sorting office manager knows this, as I wrote directly to him, saying I couldn't cope with trying to obtain my mail anymore. He didn't respond, so after 3 weeks had passed, I called RM to make a complaint.

From there, the situation has just got worse and worse. The 2nd damage was done by another relief postman who put his bag on my wall, and knocked down potted plants. The smashed pots and soul I couldn't get up to to disability, so I asked RM for someone to come around and clean up the broken pottery and soil. The postman did take photos at the time, and admitted he'd caused the damage, which was good of him.
    The delivery manager ignored communication from the RM customer service team, and they had to escalate their complaint with him at that point. He finally responded weeks later, but never sent anyone to clear up the mess. I had to ask a neighbour to do it, because when it rained, the soil washed around blocked my drains.
    RM then gave up trying to contact the DM, and sent me a cheque for £50 to cover the cost of replacement plants and large terracotta pots.

The constant relief staff remained, until recently, and this new postman is still coming here daily. 3 weeks ago, he was outside and I heard his device beep, meaning I had a parcel to sign for. I was in my bedroom, so I tapped the window, just about to say I'm on my way. As I tapped the glass about to speak, he shouted "Get down and sign!' He was extremely loud and aggressive. I got downstairs as quick as I could, and when I met him, I said "I'm sorry, I'm disabled and it takes a little while for me to get downstairs" He just stared at me, and handed me the parcel to sign, then left.
    I went indoors thinking I shouldn't have bothered being polite or apologetic, as he was pretty vile towards me.
    Then the very next day, was sat in my garden, and heard him telling my neighbour "She's trouble, and she conned RM out of £50.00 for compensation"
    Now he wasn't around last year to even know I was compensated, and only the DM knew. The DM is the only person who could be instigating this vendetta against me. I have had to make yet another complaint because I was in tears when I heard the postman and my neighbour discussing me.
    The response from RM is that they are both friends, and that the DM will not be taking any action against the postman.

No one has realised the DM is behind it all. Now I have set up 'Mail Collect' so I'll have to go to the sorting office to get my mail somehow once a week, or the mail is returned to sender.
    I received a letter from RM stating the service will begin 27th August, but this has not happened. I've had mail brought here every day by the postman who breached my confidentiality on the 27th and every day since. I do not want him or other staff from the sorting office to come to my home, but the DM has decided differently.
    I've had to let RM know that this Mail Collect service has failed, and they logged it as a complaint (I didn't ask for a complaint log)
    I'd appreciate some advice please, because I don't know what to do anymore, and my mental health is going downhill with the stress and upset.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

I know what I would do in these circumstances. I'd ring up the local sorting office and arrange to see the DM, to sort out what the problem really is. I'd be friendly, and take a tin of biscuits for him and the sorting office staff.

Possibly, there's some procedure to undertake to have your mail delivered to the back of the house, rather than the front?

Better still, fix a spring to the front gate, so it won't bang in the wind (or leave it propped open with a stone) and fit a larger/stronger letter box. Try to fit in with their normal way of doing things, and it may go a lot more smoothly for everyone.

I don't know why your post, which is supposed to be held for you, is still being delivered, but I expect it's simple inefficiency rather than a vendetta. When we paid for redirection after moving house, quite a lot still got delivered to the old address.

I suggest that you stop complaining and try to sort this out amicably and constructively. I know that's how you started originally, but do try again.

Good luck.

Comment

I think you forgot the breach of confidentiality by both staff members. Shall I send them biscuits for that too, or would a gift card be better?

Seriously, you have no idea of the hell I'm being put through, and I can't take anymore. I've been placating and pleasant up till now, and enough is enough.

Comment

So, what are you going to do?

Comment

have you asked for your complaint to be escalated to the Postal Review Panel.?

Interesting link to how to complain: https://www.consumerdeals.co.uk/comp...royalmail.html
          Last edited by des8; 1st September 2019, 21:20:PM. Reason: Added link

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            I suppose that might work. Eventually. It depends whether the priority is to get Tara's post delivery sorted out ASAP or to get some more compo?

Tara says it's a breach of confidentiality for the DM to tell his staff to handle her especially carefully and that she received £50 compo. I don't think it is. It's precisely the sort of information the delivery staff need in order to do their job. So, the DM is in the clear on that one.

The postman should obviously not have discussed that information with Tara's neighbour. However, raising that as a complaint again can perhaps result in disciplinary action against the postman. Is that really going to get her post delivery sorted out, though? There's a risk it will be counter-productive.

It would be worth checking this out:
            https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...ery-exceptions

By locking her front gate, Tara may have put herself within one of the categories where Royal Mail are under no obligation to deliver her mail.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

Interesting link to how to complain: https://www.consumerdeals.co.uk/comp...royalmail.html
              Thanks. I have printed off the forms, and if they don't take matters seriously, I'll go to the ombudsman.

Comment

Originally posted by Tara100 View Post

Thanks. I have printed off the forms, and if they don't take matters seriously, I'll go to the ombudsman.
                As I have said, I'd try to sort out what sounds like a practical problem, but if you go through the formal complaint process I hope it works out well, and I wish you all the best.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X