• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Product price misrepresentation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product price misrepresentation

I work for a website design company, we also maintain some clients websites (eCommerce), so we make changes to the website and product info and prices. I was asked the other day to apply a discount to a handful (~5 to 6) products. But I was told to add the discount to the current product price and make the increased price the “regular non sale price”. This would mean that the consumer would not receive the sale discount in actuality. When the sale period was going to be over, the regular sale price would return the price it was before the “so called” discount was applied. For example product x - Original price would be £40 but when the sale discount was applied, the “new” non sale price would be £44 (10% off discount) but the product would be promoted as £40 after the 10% sale discount.

I chose not to apply the discount in this way, as we had just run a Google Ads campaign for the client and none of the product prices had been adjusted from their original set price, so I knew people would notice the price changes (which are not in favour of the consumer). I applied the discount in the correct manner; original price marked down by the discount amount.

I know this has to be classed as misrepresentation, due to myself reading up on the subject. What I would like to know is, would my employer been held equally responsible for this breach in consumer law etc?
    Tags: None

What makes you think your employer would be liable? Theres no contract between you and the consumer, yours is with the client so it's up to them how they instruct you and tell you what they want on their website.

Unless the contract includes a term saying that you must notify them if any of their instructions are considered unlawful or in breach of any laws, it may be that your refusal to comply with the instructions is a breach of contract in itself.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Quite simply it is more could the client pursue the company I work for, as they seem to blame us for everything related to the website, including lack of customer purchases, despite all the technical side of the website being optimised etc.

There is no written contract that I am aware of, the client didn’t want one (I know, a very stupid thing on our part, it is a bugbear of the staff at our company).

So this is where the concern has come from.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X