• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car parts, genuine, aftermarket/pattern and OEM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car parts, genuine, aftermarket/pattern and OEM

please can you clarify my understanding when it comes to car parts?

Genuine, made by vehicle manufacturer or a 3rd party company and supplied to vehicle manufacturer
    OEM made by the 3rd party company that supplied the vehicle manufacturer but I purchase from another retailer. May not be the exact same specification.
    Aftermarket/Pattern made by a company that has nothing to do with vehicle manufacturer may not be the same spec, may look exactly the same

Here is my situation
    My vehicle manufacture no longer exists.
    A distributor or manufacturer used to supply them with parts. I am not sure if they were a distributor or manufacturer of parts.
    I go to my local car shop and buy a part, it is described and sold as genuine. It is sold as genuine because it comes from the distributor but they are not the manufacturer of this item
    and the item is not made by a company that ever supplied the vehicle manufacturer.
    To me this is not a genuine part but a patter/aftermarket part.
    The local car shop says it is genuine as it comes from the same distributor that supplied my vehicle manufacturer.

The cost of genuine parts is normally more then OEM or pattern parts and so I'm paying more for this part then OEM

could you give me some guidance?

thank you in advance

seleysb21

Tags: None

Genuine spare parts (Original Equipment) are the parts your car was fitted with when it was made. Even if they’re made by another company, they will have the manufacturer's guarantee.
    Original Equipment Manufacturer. parts have been made by an external company that has supplied the car maker with components for that car at some point. The parts will be identical to Original Equipment .
    Aftermarket Parts are replacement or pattern parts. This is because aftermarket companies frequently buy the rights to manufacture them using the template (pattern) from the original manufacturer. The term aftermarket covers a vast spectrum of quality.

I would suggest that you have purchased an Aftermarket part.
    But this doesn't automatically mean it is inferior to the original specification (unless it was made in China}

Comment

thanks des8. I think they are aftermarket.

now for me to decide what to do.

sealeysb21

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X