• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking on Novibet - an online bookie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking on Novibet - an online bookie

Hi all,

Just trying to figure out how to sue this Bookie. Their website https://www.novibet.co.uk/ robbed me out of some winnings. I am confident in my case.

They are listed on companies House website as Novi Group in the UK, which is a dormant company:
    Name & Registered Office:
    NOVI GROUP (UK) LIMITED
    THIRD FLOOR
    207 REGENT STREET
    LONDON
    W1B 3HH
    Company No. 09340519
    Date of Incorporation: 04/12/2014

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
    Company Type: Private Limited Company
    Nature of Business (SIC):
    63120 - Web portals
    Accounting Reference Date: 31/12
    Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/12/2017 (DORMANT)
    Next Accounts Due: 30/09/2019
    Last Confirmation Statement Date: 04/12/2017
    Next Confirmation Statement Due: 18/12/2018
    Mortgage: Number of charges: ( 0 outstanding / 0 satisfied / 0 part satisfied )
    Last Members List: 04/12/2015

According to Resolver, they are owned by a UK company named Logflex:

Contact details Head Office address

Logflex Limited
    1 Kings Avenue
    London
    N21 3NA Phone number: 0203 290 0310

And here that company is on Companies House, and they were previously names as Novibet:

Name & Registered Office:
    LOGFLEX LIMITED
    SUITE 609, CLARENDON ENTERPRISE CENTRE LTD RIVERBANK HOUSE, 4TH - 7TH FLOORS
    1 PUTNEY BRIDGE APPROACH
    LONDON
    ENGLAND
    SW6 3BQ
    Company No. 06899081
    Date of Incorporation: 07/05/2009

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
    Company Type: Private Limited Company
    Nature of Business (SIC):
    92000 - Gambling and betting activities
    Accounting Reference Date: 31/12
    Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/12/2017 (TOTAL EXEMPTION FULL)
    Next Accounts Due: 30/09/2019
    Last Confirmation Statement Date: 31/10/2018
    Next Confirmation Statement Due: 14/11/2019
    Mortgage: Number of charges: ( 0 outstanding / 0 satisfied / 0 part satisfied )
    Last Members List: 24/04/2016
    Previous Names:
    30/03/2012 NOVIBET LIMITED
    04/01/2012 LOGFLEX LIMITED

What do you think? Ideally, I would take Logflex on, I think?

Tags: None

You shouldn't claim against either to be honest, or face the risk of costs if the claim is set aside. The Novbibet website is run by Novibet Group Limited which is a company registered in Isle of Man which is also verified by their Gambling Commission number.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GC - novibet.png
Views:	1
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1439644

Oddly, their terms and conditions state that the United Kingdom is the governing law, but there's not an exclusive jurisdiction which means you can sue them in England and Wales or Scotland wherever your location is. There's also no such governing law as the United Kingdom so it seems to me that a non-lawyer has drafted these terms (or perhaps they've been copied, pasted and adapted).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1439645

So you need to sue the above company, not the ones you've mentioned. If you don't get the correct name of the company you are contracting with, then you deserve all costs against you. This is a typical and common mistake from litigants in person who think that because there are companies in the UK with similar names, they'll just sue whoever they want.

You can only sue the company whose name is on the terms and conditions and just FYI, most gambling companies are not usually operating or based out of countries such as Isle of Man or Jersey or some other tax haven place and where certain laws might be relaxed compared to the various laws in the UK.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

So what address? Thanks for the save, btw, good looking out.

p.s. rob - if Isle of Man, will the hearing still be in my home Court?

Comment

The Isle of Man address
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks rob

Comment

rob - Moneyclaimonline is telling me that I cannot take a company to Court unless I use a Welsh or English postcode?

Comment

Hi Andrew, If you've not already done so I suggest you google "Does a betting firm have to pay out on a winning bet?" as you will find a fair few tales with details that could be helpful. "Straight from the Horse's Mouth" by Keith Hughan is also worth a read before you proceed. You can buy it on Kindle for about £2 and it's not very long. I don't know the author. While it could do with a decent edit the story was gripping. The author ending up going to jail due to his illegal antics to get Ladbrokes to pay out. They apparently owed him £260K, but the author mentions an old gambling law (which I think is still in force) that he claims enabled them to get away with not honouring his win. Good luck. PS I just checked the book blurb and the old gambling law is The Gentleman's Agreement Act, 1845.
              Last edited by Vitamin33; 18th December 2018, 16:33:PM.

Comment

Hey rob sorry to keep hassling you, just a bit confused here...

Comment

Hi Andrew you cant issue a money claim online unless it's in the UK. You would need to submit you claim by paper form instead using N1 claim form.

You can use the link below and suggest you read the notes in it too. I would also screenshot or print their terms and condition in case they try to change them when they receive the claim.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...orm-cpr-part-7
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

rob Okay, got it, but there appears to be a different website/forms to complete to take legal action in Isle of Man?

https://www.courts.im/court-procedur...-small-claims/

I am assuming that you mean I can take them on using the claim forms you linked to, in my local Court?

Comment

The terms and conditions of Novibet suggest you can issue a claim in England and Wales as opposed to the Isle of Man. However, if you want to serve a claim to a party outside the jurisdiction of England and Wales then you need to follow the correct procedures, which is either you need permission from the court to serve the claim form, or under certain exceptions you don't need permission.

Afraid I don't have time to explain how it all works and sometimes it can be quite complex because there are several avenues for serving claim forms without permission. I would suggest you google "service of a claim form out of the jurisdiction" which will give you umpteen articles explaining when and how you can serve a claim form to a foreign entity.

Your other option is to issue a claim via Isle of Man jurisdiction but then your going to have to travel there to bring your case, unless there is another method of resolving it such as telephone.
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X