• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

False Advertising - What are my rights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False Advertising - What are my rights?

Hello there,

Just wanted some assistance as to where I stand legally.

I purchased some bathroom tiles from a nationwide store. I saw the tiles on display in the store and asked for the exact same ones.

The tiles were delivered to me. I was told if they are broken, to contact the store who will replace them. When the tiles were recieved, I did not open the box to check them.

The builder started to tile my bathroom and I noticed that the colour was different to the one in store. I went back to the store and took photographs of the tiles on display.

I informed the employee that the tiles I had delivered to me varied to the colour they had on display and it was not the colour I had asked for. I was told that the display was an old display which they no longer stocked those tiles and that I should have checked the tiles when I recieved them. My reply was if they are old tiles why was I not informed when I asked for those tiles to be ordered and why does the store still advertise the 'old' tiles which are no longer avaliable to order. This is clearly false advertising and misrepresentation.

I was told head office would call me back. Head office did call me and told me it was my error as I did not check the tiles. There was nothing further they could do.

They are not the ones I wanted and my builder has now tiled some of my bathroom. I have spent a considerable amount of money in this store.

Is there anything I can do legally?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Hi,

Any thoughts?

Comment

Yes, you can claim back from the company under the consumer Rights Act 2015, goods not as described, not as per sample

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
        Yes, you can claim back from the company under the consumer Rights Act 2015, goods not as described, not as per sample
        I didn't say anything, because I was unsure how this is affected by the builder using some of them. Any reputable tile shop will take back the unopened boxes without quibble, but what about the opened one(s)? And I had the impression the OP wants compo for the builders time and materials used, plus the cost of hacking off the unsuitable tiles, etc.

At some point, the consumer may have responsibility for checking the goods are suitable before letting their builder loose on them?

Comment

Hi,

2222 I don't really want compensation in regards to the builder as the builder did nothing wrong and the tiles would have gone up on the wall in any event.

I am just really annoyed at the fact that the company did not tell me that the tiles on display (which is what I asked for) were no longer available yet when they ordered the tiles, they should have been aware when they put the sample number into the system. Instead they ordered slightly different tiles and said to me that other customers haven't noticed the difference in colour!

Comment

How did you pay by credit card or debit? And how long ago was it?

Comment

Hi Anna,

It was paid for via cash, all receipts are available.

Purchase about a month ago.

Comment

If you paid by cash that it is Consumer Rights Act 2015, best to call citizens advice and talk to them about your remedies

Comment

Originally posted by Anna1972 View Post
                  If you paid by cash that it is Consumer Rights Act 2015, best to call citizens advice and talk to them about your remedies
                  Thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X