• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wrongly received money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrongly received money

Over a month ago i had a payment of almost £20k Incorrectly paid into my business account. I’ve called them and Also left a secure message online through my business banking page yet nobody seems interested. Where do I stand on this?
    Tags: None

Well it isn't yours legally and if you spend it you could be sued for the recovery of it, you would then likely have to rely on the change of position defence and that's not always guaranteed depending on how it is spent i.e. using it to pay bills would not afford you a defence - suggest you read up on unjust enrichment.

Otherwise, if you hold onto it for 6 years and still remains unclaimed, then you could spend it as any claim would most likely be out of time.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Wouldn’t the fact I’ve tried and can prove that I’ve tried to give it back go towards anything?

Comment

Not really, because it wasn't your money in the first place. I've already mentioned unjust enrichment from a civil claim but from a criminal perspective it might be considered theft and splashing out on the money could mean you end up paying back the money or at worst, a shortish prison sentence.

You could, in theory, put the money into a savings account for it to accrue interest and there's nothing I am aware of that suggests you can't keep that interest if the money needs to be repaid. You've already notified them so the onus is on the bank to rectify their error. Whilst they might not respond immediately, the amount transferred is quite substantial so someone is going to realise at some point money is missing. Banks will also carry out regular audits which is likely to be picked up at that point if all else fails.

My opinion would be sent another message/letter to the bank and tell them you are in receipt of the cash you weren't expecting and ask them how they wish for it to be dealt with. If you don't hear back then you will put it into a separate account until you hear back from them. Then set up an account, maybe a high savings one and let it stew until it is collected. It also avoids you having the urge to spend it, but of course it is your decision as to how you deal with this situation.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Have a gamble and put it into premium bonds. You never know you might get the £1,000,000. I don't think there are any high interest accounts left. With that amount you're almost at the point of an evens chance of something each month

Comment

That did cross my mind ! There’s been a further development though. HSBC have now added another bank account and withdrawn the amount they had paid in. I’ve not signed up for any new account yet when I log in to business banking there’s an unknown account in my business name that’s £19k overdrawn Surely they can’t just add an account to me without my authorisation can they ?

Comment

Forgot to mention in this new account there’s just one transaction saying BBL drawdown - £19k debt

Comment

BBL =bounce back loan scheme?

Comment

Yes looks like it*

Comment

Not something we’ve applied for*

Comment

So I would register a formal complaint with them that they appear to have opened a BBL account in your business name, and transferred the monies to your current business account without any authorisation from yourself.

No responses have been received to your earlier queries highlighting these transactions.

You now require an immediate reversal of them and an explanation

Comment

Well I don’t know what to do now. I’ve tried 6 or 7 times to get in touch by phone, online secure messages, email and online chat and nobody is getting Bach to me.

Comment

Use snail mail, recorded delivery, to the CEO
                          Warn them the matter will be escalated*

Comment

Interesting discussion

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X