• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Client refusing to pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client refusing to pay

Hey there,

I run a small talent recruitment business, and we recently had a veterinary practice reach out to us via email, asking for help in finding a candidate. We had a potential match in mind and shared the candidate's CV without revealing their personal info. We also sent them our terms and conditions and asked them to review these. If they were happy with it and wanted more info on the candidate, we said to let us know, and we'd share all the details.

They got back to us, thanked us for the info, and expressed interest in the candidate. We sent over the details. They interviewed the candidate, checked references, and eventually hired them. All good so far.

Then, we sent them our invoice, with the fees laid out in our terms and conditions. This happened at the end of May. However, since then, they've been ghosting us, ignoring our invoices, emails, WhatsApps (and even blocked us!), and phone calls. I tried to reach an agreement with them in every way possible, but no luck.

Frustrated with the situation, we eventually took them to court. Now they're asking for a mediator and claiming that the contract was never signed. But we sent them the contract, asked them to review it, and they gave us the green light to proceed.

Do they have a leg to stand on? Should I consider using the mediator, or should I go straight to court? I'm really stressed out about this and have already wasted countless hours on it.

Thanks for your help.
    Tags: None

Your case seems stronger. They knew your contract terms and asked you to go ahead.

Mediation may lead to a settlement, and free up your time that you will otherwise spend preparing for court. But you will be pressed to give up some of your claim.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply. I also think we should win the case easily, but all the court situation makes me nervous. It's kind of amusing that they suddenly want a mediator when I've made countless attempts to reach out to them. I asked if there was any issue on their end that prevented them from paying, and if so, we could work something out. But it's been crickets from their side.

On the other hand, the court thing , as intimidating as I find it, may be an opportunity for growth, to know the system better and be more prepared if something like this happens in future. I donīt feel they deserve me giving up any of the claim, which i would have happily done in other circunstances.

Do you happen to know of any online resources where I can learn more about the implications of contracts that are not physically signed but rather conducted online? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Are you a member of an employment agents association such as REC or TEAM?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

No, we are a small spanish recruitment agency helping spanish vets finding jobs in the UK. The owners of the veterinary practice are also spanish, but obviously, they live in the UK.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X