• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord help please

Hi this is my 1st post here and would appreciate any advice.

My situation is that I rent a room which I have used as a hair salon. The room is within a gym and the owners of the gym are my landlords, they do not own the building and are leasing it from the owners of the building who are also situated within the building as that is where their office is.

The issue I have is that due to negative customer feedback regarding my landlords I have decided we can no longer carry on and am just about to cancel my lease. We are allowed to do this with 2 months notice which I shall give. When we took the room on it was in need of re decoration - electrical work - plumbing and some cupboards removing. We made it clear that this is what we wanted to do before we accepted the room and had to wait whilst they spoke to the owners of the property to confirm they were ok with us to make the changes, which they were.

They have got wind of the fact that we are leaving and I am aware that they are saying that if we do not put the room back to its original state they will not be giving us our £500 deposit. I had planned to fill any holes and re paint, remove the plumbing/ electrics that we had put in and make this good. We also installed a laminate floor as carpet is no good for a hairdressing salon. They are saying that they want all of the cupboards put back and a carpet. All of this has been told by a 3rd party as they refuse to talk directly to us even if we say good morning!

Now i can understand if we were to leave the room in a bad state but the work they want us to do will cost more than the deposit and I know they are doing this to be as awkward as they have been for the last 18 months.

This is what is written in our lease, that we received 3 months after we opened (which we have proof of) after constantly requesting as it was supposed to be signed on the day we took the keys and never materialised. It was emailed to us and was never signed on either side.

5.1.3 The room must be left as new on termination of the contract; all walls, flooring andoriginal fixtures and equipment must be in its original condition, (prior to taking on the room) wereserve the right to hold the deposit if this does not meet our satisfaction.

I have a feeling we are dont have a leg to stand on but would just like to know if that is the case.
    Tags: None

Re: Landlord help please

Hi

Difficult this one, you probebly will have to put the room back in the same or similar condition, The carpet over laminate may be something thats worth discussing with them.

We made it clear that this is what we wanted to do before we accepted the room and had to wait whilst they spoke to the owners of the property to confirm they were ok with us to make the changes, which they were.
    did you have any of this in writing..
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Re: Landlord help please

I have no issues making the room decoration good so that if a new tennant was to rent they would be able to walk straight in without having to do anything. Its the agreed removal of 4 cupboards ( and we wrote down out plans and gave it to them and had a verbal ok) that I am not happy about replacing as it will cost more than the deposit. I am thinking it is looking like we will loose our deposit for a room that is going to be in better condition than when we took it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X