• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business lease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business lease

Hi, i have a problem with my landlord and i am hoping someone could help.

A few issues firstly, i have never been allowed to put the electricity into my business' name, the landlord comes in does a meter read, then bills me, i have challenged this issue asked for an original bill and the response i got was 'i don't think your in a position to be asking for that', well i think i am and we had an massive arguement over it, I believe this heated discussion came about as i never see an original bill, therefore do not know other than what i am given, what i pay for electric (kw/unit) so i feel that they are putting their 'bit' on top to make money from it, otherwise why not let me have an original bill.
    Just to clear up why it is still under the landlords name and not mine, it is a small business park, my building has the main feed of electricity and then it feeds all the other units, weird? yes it is, but its an old buliding and true. What can i do about this, surely legally I can have this, plus i can get much better rates than im being charged, and i feel it is effecting taking the business forward as the bills are ridiculous.

Secondly, if i just closed and went somewhere else, would i be liable for the remaining rates owed? Even if i notified the council i was no longer in the building? if i did leave im sure the landlord would pursue me, i would loose my bond, honestly don't care as i would make it back fast, when i bought my new house, i did not sign and got everything from day 1 info my wifes name, so i technically have nothing to loose so they can chase, ccj/bankrupt me i don't care.

The lease i have is a standard 5 year full repair lease, no get out clauses. (knaive i know)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Business lease

When you took on the lease did you use a solicitor?
    Are you a sole trader or a LTD company
    Last edited by wales01man; 7th November 2013, 09:13:AM. Reason: not finished

Comment

Yes i had a solicitor, we are ltd, but i signed it in my name, which now i know i should not have done

Comment

Think you should go back to the solicitor for advice most full repairing lease don't have a get out clause as for electric are all the tenants/leaseholders paying the same way.

Comment

Is this not mentioned in your contract?

Also, it might be worth having a chat with Ofgem - your landlord may have put himself in the position of a TPI
          https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publi...eedstoknow.pdf
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
            Is this not mentioned in your contract?

Also, it might be worth having a chat with Ofgem - your landlord may have put himself in the position of a TPI
            https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publi...eedstoknow.pdf
            No it is not mentioned in the contract, i have already spoke with other energy suppliers and they can get the unit price down by nearly half, this leads me to believe that the landlord is putting their bit on top, otherwise i can't see this being an issue.

Comment

As far as i am aware myself, the unit next to us and behind are the same, the other units are all on their own separate supply. I used a solicitor to do the lease and have been back since, but can't keep affording to go, which is why i am seeking advice.

Comment

Are there any other problems with this landlord?
                There are regulations on the resale of electricity I found some info from 2007 worth looking to see if it helps you?
                Last edited by wales01man; 7th November 2013, 12:02:PM. Reason: more info

Comment

yes if you can post them that would be great, thanks.

Comment

Sorry im not clever enough to do links its all on the net search google not sure if it applies to businesses but worth a look?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X