• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business Rates Liability Order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Rates Liability Order

Hi.

I came home from work today to find a letter from the council. The letter said that on Monday they had obtained a liability order at the magistrates court for business rates owing. I have 14 days to pay what is outstanding.

The thing is, I have never run a business from the property they claim I have. Also, today is the first I have heard of this. I haven't received any correspondence from either the council or the court at all about it.

A quick search on the internet suggests there's no way of going to the court to get this overturned, and only the council can apply for it to be removed - so long as I can prove I don't owe the money. But how can I prove a negative and never ran a business from the address they say?

Mike

Re: Business Rates Liability Order

A sure fire way of overturning a Liability Order is not owing the money.

Have they simply got the wrong address, or do you not owe the money at all?

Comment

I simply do not owe the money. I have never run a business in the area.

Comment

Excellent. Then write to the council and tell them this and insist they recall the LO.

Comment

OK thanks. I'll get a letter to them tomorrow.

My worry is, they say I have 14 days to come up with the cash, else they'll send the bailiffs in. I can see them dragging this on for way past the 14 days...

Comment

They can do what they like, but you don't owe the money and you must tell them and give them an opportunity to remedy this.

If anything else happens, then we can deal with that, but in the first instance you need to tell them you do not owe the money they say you do.

Comment

Ill post what reply I get back from the council.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi again, just a small update on what's happened.

I went into the council offices on Friday (29th) and explained to them that I had never run in business in the area etc. They said that as long as I put it down in writing to them, they'd cancel the liability order and investigate the situation.

I handed in the letter personally the same day.

However, since I haven't heard anything from them, I gave them a call today. They have no knowledge of me comming in and no knowledge of the letter I sent them - the liability order still stands.

What's now worrying me is that the 14 days to pay are now up and should I be expecting a knock on the door from the bailiffs?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeybe View Post
                  Hi again, just a small update on what's happened.

I went into the council offices on Friday (29th) and explained to them that I had never run in business in the area etc. They said that as long as I put it down in writing to them, they'd cancel the liability order and investigate the situation.

I handed in the letter personally the same day.

However, since I haven't heard anything from them, I gave them a call today. They have no knowledge of me comming in and no knowledge of the letter I sent them - the liability order still stands.
                  Then go in with another copy, wait until someone signs it to say they have received it and then put another copy in the post and get a certificate of posting from the Post Office. Then have them write you a letter, while you wait, to say they are going to cancel the Liability Order.

Originally posted by Mikeybe View Post
                  What's now worrying me is that the 14 days to pay are now up and should I be expecting a knock on the door from the bailiffs?
                  And? So what. You don't owe anything.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X