• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can I get out of a personal guarantee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pezza54 they used an insolvency practitioner, I believe it was a voluntary liquidation.
    The business didn’t survive Covid. They did tell me that they were appointing a liquidator (which was a couple of years ago) and that there was no money to pay the creditors and that the personal guarantee would likely be called in.

I briefly spoke to one of the directors because I asked them to speak to the bank about the personal guarantee and they said that the liquidator had finished liquidation and investigations, so I believe no wrongdoing was found on their part. On companies house it looks like it was dissolved a couple of months ago.

Comment

Yes you are right. The insolvency practitioner should carry out a thorough investigation over the last 3 years of company trading. That's the theory. I can't say whether or not it happens in practice in every case.

Comment

Pezza54 so if they didn’t find any wrongdoing is it unlikely that I can argue that they did at this point?

I have read about fraud being a time-barred issue if I want to make a claim, do you know anything about that?

Comment

Not unless you are personally aware - bought or leased expensive company cars in their last 2 years of trading

6 year limitation period for fraud claims

Comment

Pezza54 I’m not aware of the state of the accounts in the last 2 years as I was not involved at all by that point.
            it’s passed 6 years now, can I argue that I didn’t know?

Comment

Search for the latest company accounts at Companies House Register. They can be slow to remove dissolved company details. Some companies provide details of assets purchased such as company cars and contributions to director's pensions
              When I wrote 6 year limitation period I was answering your question about fraud (by the directors), not you signing as guarantor

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X