• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please

I was hoping that someone could give me some quick advice on a little something.... What it is, I am a freelance equestrian groom and I run my accounts through Quickbooks under my chosen name. I worked a yard for one lady, looking after her two ponies. As always I sent an invoice through Quickbooks and she sent the money over via bank transfer. Her mother approached me and asked me to help her, when we spoke about it she said she needed my personal tax number and not to mention the word horses or the business won't pay. I found this a little odd but went ahead and did the work. I sent the invoice over as always but added in services that it was for Administration and not freelance groom work. According to her it would have been paid on the 28th but as I didn't receive anything I contacted her and she is arguing the payment. Its only £105 but she said that because it came from my business name it didn't go through. She asked me again for my personal tax code which she already had and i sent again. I spoke to friends and they told me that she would only require my tax code if its under constructions contractors which it isn't. I looked after her personal horses so its a bit odd that she is trying to put it through the company with no mention of horses at all. I will add the Watsap screen shots in two parts and I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction to assure I get paid and if what she is doing is wrong. The first images are to the lady directly but I also spoke to her daughter which I will add later as it only allows 6 Thank you so much
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

hope the other files will attach
    Attached Files

Comment

A personal tax code is provided to PAYE employers and employees.

A person who is self-employed is provided with a UTR (Unique Tax Reference) by HMRC which is allocated for life.

Are you getting confused between the two. You stated that you have provided the business with your personal tax code. Sounds like the business wants your UTR for their computer system to process payment

Comment

Thank you. What I think they are doing is putting a personal expense through as a business one which is why they asked me to lie on the invoice and not mention horses. I asked several times why they want my UTR as im not employed by them, I get paid and pay my own tax but she just argued about it. I’ve since sent a blank invoice from
        word and stated I want paying by 5th Jan,

Comment

You need to be careful on this, and you may want to consider reporting the matter to the tax authorities to protect your position.

If they are operating as a limited company or similar then you may be criminally liable under section 45 of the Criminal Finances Act 2017. That section makes it an offence for any associated person (which includes those providing services to the company) to faciliate tax evasion.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Oh wow. The last thing I want to do is get into trouble. I just wanted to be paid for what I did so I sent a word doc invoice over. She’s actually just paid but through her personal account so to me shows she wasn’t being honest

Comment

Oh does that count though if I put it through QuickBooks my side and pay my tax? I can’t prove she’s evading tax so can’t be accused of assisting surely? Gosh it’s a lesson I’ll never do again,

Comment

Next time take care. Ask why you are being asked to do things some other way. If you should be minded to agree - and be very careful whether you do agree - I suggest that you say that the amended document will be provided upon payment within 24 hours.
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Yes you’re absolutely right, I’ll definitely make sure in future and keep to the way I do things

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X