• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Submitting a petition to wind up a company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submitting a petition to wind up a company

A joiner delivered part of the job, and I sent him a pre-action letter from my solicitor. I submitted an MCOL for £10,000 and won the case (he didn't bring any evidence or reply for that matter).

I then hired a HCEO who traced his address, didn't find any directors, but found his old landlady and handed her the NOE.

Allegedly he caught wind of what happened and called the HCEO and said he'd arrange a payment. That was one month ago.

I've also submitted an Order for Questioning, but mistakenly sent it to the MCOL court, instead of his local court. I resent it to the right court.

I then served him with a statutory demand, using a process server. Still nothing.

Now, I'm about to send the paperwork to his nearest court to wind up his company. In CH, last year's accounts show some £150k in assets (mostly cash in the bank). Therefore I assume, that he's still trading and should have cash to pay back.

Btw, his address in CH is a virtual address, meaning that there used to be an office there, but there isn't one anymore -the address belongs to a hospital now.

I feel I've taken all the right steps towards this, but please let me know if you see any gaps in the process.

One thing I noticed in the Form Comp1, under (n) Insert name of witness
    The phrase reads

(n) For the reasons stated in the witness statement of [Name of creditor] filed in support hereof, it is considered that:

Does this mean that I need to submit a witness statement as well? Based on my understanding of gov.uk's page there's no such need.

Tags: None

Yes. A supporting statement is needed.

Are you aware of the procedure and of the fees and Official Receiver's deposit you will need to pay? The total can easily be £3,000 if not more.

https://www.gov.uk/wind-up-a-company...owes-you-money
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by petrus5 View Post
      A joiner delivered part of the job, and I sent him a pre-action letter from my solicitor. I submitted an MCOL for £10,000 and won the case (he didn't bring any evidence or reply for that matter).

I then hired a HCEO who traced his address, didn't find any directors, but found his old landlady and handed her the NOE.

Allegedly he caught wind of what happened and called the HCEO and said he'd arrange a payment. That was one month ago.

I've also submitted an Order for Questioning, but mistakenly sent it to the MCOL court, instead of his local court. I resent it to the right court.

I then served him with a statutory demand, using a process server. Still nothing.

Now, I'm about to send the paperwork to his nearest court to wind up his company. In CH, last year's accounts show some £150k in assets (mostly cash in the bank). Therefore I assume, that he's still trading and should have cash to pay back.

Btw, his address in CH is a virtual address, meaning that there used to be an office there, but there isn't one anymore -the address belongs to a hospital now.

I feel I've taken all the right steps towards this, but please let me know if you see any gaps in the process.

One thing I noticed in the Form Comp1, under (n) Insert name of witness
      The phrase reads

(n) For the reasons stated in the witness statement of [Name of creditor] filed in support hereof, it is considered that:

Does this mean that I need to submit a witness statement as well? Based on my understanding of gov.uk's page there's no such need.
      Yes, I'm aware of the fees but I'm willing to take it to the end. The fees will be added to the debt anyway, should I be successful.

With regard to the supporting statement, it's not mentioned anywhere in the checklist of gov.uk though, so one could very well omit it. What should be written in it? Just a description of what has happened, and why I want to wind up the company I suppose?

Comment

Almost invariably, if your petition leads to a winding up order being made you will have failed in collecting on the debt.

Your best hope is that the service of a petition leads to settlement. It's a gamble with an expensive buy in to the table.

Your statement is formal proof of the debt. It is a requirement. Look at other sites - do a search for "winding up petition procedure".
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          Almost invariably, if your petition leads to a winding up order being made you will have failed in collecting on the debt.
          Interesting. What makes you say that?

Comment

Experience.

Comment

Fair. However wound up companies that have cash do have to pay their debts, right? And I have a CCJ that confirms that debt.

Comment

By all means proceed, but (a) do so with a full understanding that your receiving payment is uncertain, and (b) make sure that you fully understand the procedure.

Comment

Following up on this, what do I need to write in the witness statement?

Do I need to state the facts again from the beginning e.g. how much I paid, what we agreed, emails etc? All these were in the CCJ that I won, so all that information shouldn't be new.

On the other hand, I could just state what has happened after the CCJ has been issued, i.e. that I've tried to chase him with an HCEO and he hasn't paid.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X